Shares Question (whole drive vs. folders)

jpm

I'm having trouble getting my Emby server working correctly with Kodi.

The server works fine on Windows so far, it picks up and I can play my movies fine.  I have my entire M:\ drive shared on my network.  When setting up Kodi this was always enough because I could navigate to the folders I was adding to my DB, but with Emby I can only seem to get it working if I share the individual folders as well, and then do a path substitution.

For example:

(doesn't work)

Fully shared "M:\" drive

"M:\movies (hd)" added to emby

The info for these movies will show up in Kodi, but will not play.

(works)

"M:\movies (hd)" shared as well as the entire drive

Path substitution entered from M:\movies (hd) --> \\Desktop-PC\movies (hd)"

Now the movies will play.

My question is how can I avoid sharing each folder with content individually but still have Emby work?  I share the entire drive because I have many different folders with content and it would be a pain to share everything individually.

I'm assuming there is something else I can do but at this point I'm not sure.  I read a lot prior to posting and I was able to get my movies playing from other peoples posts, but I can't find anything about being able to avoid having to share each folder that has content.

Thanks.

Didn't work.  Videos don't play again as soon as I unshare my test folder, even though it's on a drive that has full share.

I even added the old path substitution that works, only difference is the sub folder isn't shared as well, still wouldn't play.

I'm going to keep trying different combinations of things.