How many user can I use ?

kakvey

MSattler

All I can tell you, if that is true in windows, it was not allowing emby to work very well...   Loading of pages were SLLLOOOW, and the mouse was sketchy on the server...    All of my testing shows that FFMPEG will eat all you can give it..  Each stream will fire up a new FFMPEG so with 16 FFMPEG's running how do they all decide who gets priority? Maybe with one instance of FFMPEG running it will give up CPU time?  I have no clue.. lol..    This was my personal fix, and it has been working great...    

Was there any specific reasons you chose the cores you did for FFMpeg?

Did you give Emby access to all the cores or just the ones not used by FFMpeg?  That could be a good way to ensure Emby always has available cores.

Curious.

Thanks!

CBers

I run 1 unRaid server with 38TB of storage, and 1 unRaid server with 12TB of storage.

And a 5Gb connection between them ;)

• Like 1

pir8radio

Was there any specific reasons you chose the cores you did for FFMpeg?

Did you give Emby access to all the cores or just the ones not used by FFMpeg?  That could be a good way to ensure Emby always has available cores.

Curious.

Thanks!

No rhyme or reason, I just figured don't let FFMPEG touch those 5 cores, 5 should be more than enough for emby, windows, and my other web server...  I've never really "tuned" that, it has worked fine...     

I didn't restrict emby at all, or create any rules for emby in process lasso... the only rule i have is for ffmpeg and i restrict it to said cores...    so everything else has free reign of the server...  

So within process lasso I set a rule for FFMPEG under Options/Configure CPU Affinities   and added ffmpeg.exe as the process name, and set the Default CPU affinity to 0-14 (cores 1-15).    It works, see below.   I said I left 4 cores alone in my initial post, lol  I just looked and it looks like I left 5 cores free. 

The below shows FFMPEG trans-coding, but leaving the last 5 cores open for other stuff..

5775a9c9dcaa3_Capture.png

Edited by pir8radio

JeremyFr79

No rhyme or reason, I just figured don't let FFMPEG touch those 5 cores, 5 should be more than enough for emby, windows, and my other web server...  I've never really "tuned" that, it has worked fine...     

I didn't restrict emby at all, or create any rules for emby in process lasso... the only rule i have is for ffmpeg and i restrict it to said cores...    so everything else has free reign of the server...  

So within process lasso I set a rule for FFMPEG under Options/Configure CPU Affinities   and added ffmpeg.exe as the process name, and set the Default CPU affinity to 0-14 (cores 1-15).    It works, see below.   I said I left 4 cores alone in my initial post, lol  I just looked and it looks like I left 5 cores free. 

The below shows FFMPEG trans-coding, but leaving the last 5 cores open for other stuff..

5775a9c9dcaa3_Capture.png

You mean 5 threads? :D so 2.5 cores :D

Sorry had to give ya a bad time :D

Edited by JeremyFr79

pir8radio

You mean 5 threads? :D so 2.5 cores :D

Sorry had to give ya a bad time :D

Well, I'm trying to keep from corn fusing people....   :D    My turn to correct you, its not 2.5 cores but just 2 free, yes 5 threads..  Physical cores start at zero (left) in windows, so my 5 free "cores" are actually 2 physical and 3 logical...   :P

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

Well, I'm trying to keep from corn fusing people....   :D    My turn to correct you, its not 2.5 cores but just 2 free, yes 5 threads..  Physical cores start at zero (left) in windows, so my 5 free "cores" are actually 2 physical and 3 logical...   :P

Fair enough :D

• Like 1

browned

I have an 8 core AMD FX8370 running at 4Ghz. 32GB Ram, 2 x HP P410 Smart Array controller, 2 x 1Gb Intel NIC. On VMware Vsphere 6u2

My Windows 2012 R2 Essentials server is running with 5 cores, 10GB RAM, System drive and Data Drive (100/200GB) on the 480GB SSD as a VMDK.

2 x HP P410 Smart Array passed through to the Server VM so Windows controls it.

It has 16 x varying Raid 0 disks creating a 26TB Stablebit drive pool with mirroring.

I am also running 4 other VM's of Windows, Linux UPS Management, and a Windows 7 NextPVR system that records straight to the server but runs on a second SSD.

I can have 2 users transcoding while I direct play a couple of items in the house. Seems to work fine. Passing the disks through and not running virtual disks on them seems to help and also allows for recovery via external USB drive if required.

I have 200/200mb internet and never seem to max it out uploading.

efigalaxie

My poor 2950........

No wonder you guys are laughing about my considering using a laptop. 

I have a bad inferiority complex now. 

• Like 1

You should be fine with a laptop as long as you understand what it can do and what it can't. That's really the most important thing. We have users who run the server on raspberry pi which is obviously much cheaper than your laptop.

MSattler

You should be fine with a laptop as long as you understand what it can do and what it can't. That's really the most important thing. We have users who run the server on raspberry pi which is obviously much cheaper than your laptop.

Yup, if everything is direct play, then your Emby Server only has to be able to handle the network throughput in streaming the content to clients, unless that particular client can stream directly via SMB from the storage server.

If you are going to transcode, you need gpu and cpu.  

Testing so far using Process Lasso is looking well so far.  @@Luke is there any way we can remove the "Slow" entries in the logs for slowness due to waiting for a movie to playback?  It would be good way to get a better look at how something like Process Lasso helps.  Right now, it's hard to distinguish from real slow entries and ones related to playback <transcoding starting>.  I guess I could try to eliminate those entries from my list.... but really, if it's slow because of a wait to get the transcoding started and buffered..... I don't think it's really... slow?

efigalaxie

RPI server....now that is intriguing. How much can the more powerful of those handle???? Is there a way to gang them to add server capacity that Emby can use.....as needed???

Not as of now but offloading transcoding to other machines is something I'd love to add in the future.

efigalaxie

Now that would be a true leap ahead feature. That would enable people to add capacity as needed. I have never looked at the code, is it modular enough that doing this could be done without a huge rewrite???

• 1 month later...
intellium

Not as of now but offloading transcoding to other machines is something I'd love to add in the future.

Would definately be interested in this feature!

I figure the easiest approach to this would be a sort of small 'emby' install that only has the essentials to receive commands from the main server, transcode them, en relay the stream back to the server (or directly to the user with some redirection?)

I can already see my server room full with RPi's doing HW transcoding ;)

intellium

Yup, i think that would be great.

Good! How can we make this happen?

I'm not a coder myself, though I have some years of PHP and Bash scripting under my belt, that's no programming. 

This feature would need to be flexible in the sense that it allows the user to specify priorities per (remote) transcoder. It should also be possible to specify the number of transcodes per transcoder. Perhaps this could best be done by utlizing virtual 'slots'. Also perhaps the need to do multiple different types of transcoding per machine, each with their own 'slots' and priorities, so it would be possible to use 2 transcodes utilizing NVENC, and also perhaps 2 transcodes utilizing the CPU on that transcoder. 

Gahhh, im excited! :D

• Like 1