DVD Menu support

theReverend

theReverend

Hi Emby,

I'll post this here for now, since this seems to be a VIDEO_TS thread...

I have about 600 of my DVD's ripped in the VIDEO_TS format:

- P:\Movies (DVD)\Movies (SD)\12 Angry Men (1957)\VIDEO_TS

These all played fine when I had Emby for WMC.

The "DVD" will launch in Emby Theater, but not allow menu navigation (screenshot 2016-06-26 (ET)).

The "DVD" will NOT launch in the Web version (screenshot 2016-06-26 (ET))

- Chrome (v51.0.2704.106)

Hopefully this can be rectified - "converting these to a more popular format" is not an option.

- The amount of time this would take makes the suggestion somewhat trite...

- This also removes the menu options, easter eggs, etc...

Attached are the following support documents:

2016-06-26 (ET).png

2016-06-26 (Web).png

EmbyLog_06.26.2016_1602PST.txt

post-4928-0-08732500-1466982447_thumb.png

post-4928-0-47364500-1466982450_thumb.png

EmbyLog_06.26.2016_1602PST.txt

the video player supports it's just that the OSD is what has focus and catches all the input. so we have to figure that out.

as for the browser, playback of folder rips structures has always been experimental because the tools we rely on for transcoding do not natively support them.

Deathsquirrel

Hopefully this can be rectified - "converting these to a more popular format" is not an option.

- This also removes the menu options, easter eggs, etc...

There is absolutely nothing that needs to be lost in the process except the disc menus.  All the video and audio files on the disc can be converted to individual MKV files and browsed using the Emby native menus instead.  That doesn't mean you HAVE to do this, but using MakeMKV it's very easy.  It takes essentially as log as a file copy of the equivalent size.

Application support for playback of disc-based formats isn't growing.  I used to use DVD folder rips too.  It was a transition but one I'm glad I made.  The results are well worth the time invested.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

yea you still get the menu, it's just an emby menu :) and we all enjoy our easter egg hunts.

You can consider it trite if you wish but it was a good suggestion and, at some point, you will be forced to convert these - or continue to use very old tools to deal with them.

The entire industry has left this format behind so support for it will only get worse across the board.

theReverend

While I appreciate the response, my first few issues with converting everything to MKV is as was originally stated:

I have about 600 of my DVD's ripped in the VIDEO_TS format:

I've been a Media Browser/Emby user for a few years and I encoded my entire library specifically based on the practices specified by Media Browser.

When a suggestion is made to simply convert everything to MKV - that suggestion assumes time as a luxury.

Emby is a continually evolving tool and I've provided input to an issue I'm experiencing.

My use of the word "trite" was intended by definition: "not interesting or effective because of being used too often".

Often, resolve is pitched without forethought or consideration for the intended recipient; Occam's razor does not apply for me.

I have 600 DVD's, many of which are Criterion and dual-disc... I played these on Media Browser - I'm hoping to play these on Emby.

I recently purchased a lifetime membership on top of what I paid originally because I feel the Emby team deserves it.

I run a team that designs, installs and commissions much of the new infrastructure at DIRECTV. The Continental US and Latin America systems are very different and pose a difficult challenge when implementing a full IP, 4K capable, ATMOS capable, distribution and monitoring scheme. Suggesting we upgrade the Latin America system to match the CONUS system would be poorest decision of my carreer... so; we solve the issue and move on. Someday, Latin America will blend in and all will be wonderful... and that is said with a little smile because in my >20 years involvement in the broadcast industry, nothing has been as easy as changing everything we have to the new format.

So - in closing my little diatribe - Thank you very much, Emby team, for the good work.

The problem is that this is not always really under our control as the tools we depend on either don't or are dropping support for such formats.  This specific issue (supporting the menu navigation in Theater) we should be able to solve but more will arise.

I'm pretty sure we have the best support for these formats as any current system but again, eventually, something will have to be done on your end.  There are tools that can help automate the process or you could just do a couple a day over several months.

It was an honest suggestion to help you out in all areas.  We will continue to do our best to support these legacy formats but some of it will be out of our hands (or not practical considering the audience size).  In your example, if it was, instead, a small town in Indiana that had that infrastructure and they had the ability to become compatible by putting in a new cable, you might be forced to put off support for them at least for a time :).

Deathsquirrel

Since you mentioned dual discs as a challenge I thought I'd add that switching to MKV will actually make life easier there.  You can use MKVMerge to take those two half-movies and shove them into the same file.  No more relying on Emby to try to figure out the details for and combine the two halves.  It was definitely an area I found to be a significant improvement as a result of converting my rips.

theReverend

Deathsquirrel...

Let me know when you have time to help me rip the 600+ movies... I'll even share them with you.

Please read my comment about time. The need to tell me the benefits is tiresome as I have a demanding full time job, a startup company to build, a wife, a reef aquarium and a dog to walk. So IM me, I'll get some drives delivered to you.

Vidman

You have already ripped them though right so all you need to do is convert them. Tools like handbrake have batch and queue features to make this easier than you are making it out to be

Edited by Vidman

Deathsquirrel

You have already ripped them though right so all you need to do is covert them. Tools like handbrake have batch and queue features to make this easier than you are making it out to be

Yeah, it's really a lot less difficult than folks are suggesting.  Naming special features is a time sink.  Converting VOBs to MKVs is a snap.