How hack proof is the Emby Server?

KarterJK

KarterJK

How hack proof is the Emby Server?

the reason I ask, is because recently the machine I use for my Emby Server got hacked.

Now this machine is totally dedicated to being my Emby Server, it runs nothing else other Teamviewer.  I have 10 machines in my home network situation, so I found it odd, that this was the machine, that got hacked into.

I have never been hacked, this was a first.  While we use all of our other machines for web browsing, gaming, windows media centers, and such.  I even run a production xampp server on one my machines.  All my machines are hardwired, with the exception of 1 unit and 4 mobiles.  Though my WiFi connections are restricted to specific devices.

I had never had a problem with Emby in the past.  I noted though, that it occured after I altered my normal Emby setup.  I have basically always used the standard settings for over a year now with my 3 HD Homerun Prime units.  I was not getting the quality i felt in my TV setup, so, I installed the WMC plugin to try it.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it to function properly, though, I had used it in the past.  So instead of trying to troubleshoot it, I just removed it and went back to the normal settings.  It was no less than 3 days later, that the machine got hit.  

The only thing I could think of was maybe along the way a download had something attached.  I don't use the machine for email, surfing just Emby.  

I was lucky, I noticed the activity while they were still on.  But they had already purchased (or tried) to purchase $10,000.00 dollars worth of equipment.  Because I was lucky enought to catch it. I powered the machine down. Contacted all companies involved and got everything reversed. Took the next 3 days of going through every credit card and account I had and changing passwords, reset my routers and established a new IP.  Scanned every machine I had, and was clear.

I was lucky..

I haven't started my Emby server up, since then, a little cautious at this point.

Thoughts? all comments welcome.

Edited by KarterJK

JeremyFr79

There was a recent huge hack against teamviewer, you may be one of the people who fell victim to that, there's another thread in the general section about it, and Redit has a huge thread regarding it to.

JeremyFr79

Also here's a great resource to check if you've been affected by any of the recent huge hacks on several major sites.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Click the link and type in any email addresses you use. It will cross reference info from known hacks and tell you if you're account information was released with one of those hacks.  Ultimately you should never use the same password for any site, each site should be a different password than the rest.  If you're too lazy to do that at the very least use one password for "sensitive" sites i.e. banks etc.  And another for things like Emby, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.

• Like 1

KarterJK

There was a recent huge hack against teamviewer, you may be one of the people who fell victim to that, there's another thread in the general section about it, and Redit has a huge thread regarding it to.

Thank you

Honestly, I felt it was my Teamviewer that was the problem, I will read up

KarterJK

you referred to the pwnd web page

it showed 4 breaches

Adobe

Plex

myspace

something else I hadn't heard of

but all were years ago, do they just keep track of it that long?

not sure how the site actually works

Turn on 2 factor authentication for team viewer

umm

don't know how to do that?

update[NVM] found how to do it

Edited by KarterJK

Spaceboy

you referred to the pwnd web page

it showed 4 breaches

Adobe

Plex

myspace

something else I hadn't heard of

but all were years ago, do they just keep track of it that long?

not sure how the site actually works

umm

don't know how to do that?

update[NVM] found how to do it

the pwned web page just shows how many times your email address was included within hacks of websites. it then tells you something about what was taken in each attack. if it was just emails then you're fine apart from you'll get loads a spam. if passwords were hacked you should obviously change them.

yep use google authenticator for team viewer 2 factor, dead easy to set up