Switch from Emby for WMC to Emby Theater

nickglott

nickglott

I took the dive to run Emby Theater and I am loving it. There are only 3 things I would add or change. I am very picky so that is quite surprising and should show how much you guys have nailed it. FYI I use a Harmony one/Harmony keyboard combo. Not sure if the first 2 can be done but

1) Add is if you are in all movies or all TV series is to add if you press P it would jump to the movies or shows that start with P. I know alphabet slider will accomplish that but when you have a keyboard up,down,left,right become a little clunky. 

2) Enable T9 like text input for the search feature as well as the suggested feature above for when you want to do a quick search without pulling out the full keyboard. In Emby classic you are able to search via T9 and would be nice to see that brought over.

3)Page Up/Down support. Would be nice to use it when scrolling through a huge library, the TV guide, and switching sections like continue watching, next up, ect.  I know you were looking to have the fewest keys possible to control Emby Theater but lets face it what remote does not have a Channel up/down buttons? Also native WMC chapter skip is Page Up/Down right now it is mapped to longpress fast forward and rewind. I have a workaround for the last part obviously but it requires me to have a separate activity set up for Emby on my harmony. That is not a huge deal but if Page up/down is implemented then it would pose a problem as they would be separate buttons.

Would love to hear any input from anyone with other possible workarounds ie. regedit fixes and whatnot.

Thanks for all the hard work!

• Like 2

Hi, welcome, yea we will be added these keyboard features in a future release. What is T9 exactly?

nickglott

Hi, welcome, yea we will be added these keyboard features in a future release. What is T9 exactly?

Using a number pad to type.

Examples:

4+2+6+3+3

G A M    E

3=D

3+3=E

3+3+3F

3+3+3+3=3

Edited by nickglott

That is usually referred to as "triple-tap".  I hadn't heard "T9" before.  What does that name come from?

mentasm

I agree with most of the OP comments.  I'm not so fussed about T9, but being able to start typing a title name and being taken to it would be fantastic

AdrianW

Using a number pad to type.

Examples:

4+2+6+3+3

G A M    E

3=D

3+3=E

3+3+3F

3+3+3+3=3

That's not T9 - that is triple-tap.

T9 is where you only press the digits once regardless of the letter you require - then the system works out what actual letters you meant based on a dictionary.

Here's an emulator. (Try typing MEDIA - all you need to click is 63342).

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

MrWebsmith

ALL to all of these.. esp 1 and 3 ive been asking for since very early alphas of the new theater client... these are lifesaver for our usage

That's not T9 - that is triple-tap.

T9 is where you only press the digits once regardless of the letter you require - then the system works out what actual letters you meant based on a dictionary.

Here's an emulator. (Try typing MEDIA - all you need to click is 63342).

Correct - what the OP described was triple-tap or multi-tap.  T9 is predictive text - only requiring a single press of each key.

Both are interesting. I'd say triple-tap is more likely to get implemented at some point.

fuzzthekingoftrees

Far better than T9 would be the find as you type search you get in the phonebook on some phones. With that kind of search 4 digits is usually enough to reduce the list to a scrollable size.