server found - cannot connect to server

cdenn016

cdenn016

emby for roku was working perfectly a few days ago and now it is not - presumably nothing has changed (server is on windows 10)

on my dashboard there is nothing listed under devices anymore.

i disconnect and reconnect, type in the pin, and the server shows up but refuses to connect by claiming that it isnt running.

i check my computer....emby is running.  i turn off my firewall.  no change

i uninstall and remove roku channel and redo everything.

same problem.

im getting too old for this shit

i liked emby a lot but ive got more important things to waste time on

anybody know how to fix this without buying a brand new computer, router, modem, roku and TV?

Edited by cdenn016

Are you running remote from the server?  I ask because you said "type in the PIN" so it sounds like you are using Emby Connect.  If so, you want to be sure your router settings are still correct.  Something like the internal IP address of your server could have changed which would break your external routing.

cdenn016

yeah.  my roku is in the living room and connects wirelessly to my router.

my computer/server is in the office and connects directly to the router via ethernet

ive tried using both embyConnect and inputting my computer's IP address manually.  both ways show that i have a server but when i click the server it tells me it cant connect even though it is running

Okay, Emby Connect is designed mostly for remote access so probably not what you want locally (although it should still work).  Is your server not automatically found?  Have you enabled UDP through your firewall?

99% of these cases come down to some piece of security software blocking access to the server application or a mis-configuration.

Make sure on your server in "networking and sharing center" this hasnt been changed to public. You want it to be set to private and be within a homegroup. Make sure you see the roku listed in "other devices" too. You cant do anything with it, just see it listed.

Windows firewall lets assume is off, or an exemption for emby was made. You may run security software, malware/rootkit prevention watchdog programs. These may be blocking emby.

Your router is fine, if you can see the server upnp is working. Have you rebooted the roku? Sometimes, rarely, it may lose network connectivity entirely. No apps will work. Forcing a restart or the ol unplug/replug is required to get it out of this state.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

cdenn016

server is automatically found when i open the emby channel on roku - it refuses to connect

i dont know what UDP is but my firewall is disabled.  when emby was working my firewall was enabled and emby was made an exception

network and sharing center is private - i dont know where to look for devices connected to the network (if i look at my router i see my roku, phones, printer, etc)

ive rebooted roku router and computer

thanks for taking your time and helping with this frustration!

just seems like an intractable problem

Edited by cdenn016

i dont know what UDP is but my firewall is disabled.  when emby was working my firewall was enabled and emby was made an exception

Please try re-enabling it and making sure the proper rules are in place.  I don't think disabling the firewall actually completely opens up your network.  I think Windows is more conservative than that.