VPN capability for device apps

computerprep

computerprep

If VPN hosting capabilities were added to Emby server, then frequent users could "connect via VPN" from enabled apps, which would allow them to login with their easy PINs even from outside the LAN.

Admins could be able enable/disable this feature per user/device combo to maintain security.

Koleckai Silvestri

Your network connectivity such as accessing a VPN should be handled on the device level within the OS. Apps should natively inherit this functionality if a VPN is active. Emby shouldn't attempt to handle this natively.

computerprep

Applications can individually use VPN capability, Socks proxies, etc.

A Socks5 proxy might be more feasible, I'm just unsure if that will allow the client application to act as if it's in LAN. It seems like it should, but I can't test since I don't have a personal Socks5 server setup.

Would be a welcome additional layer of security in lieu of (or maybe in addition to) SSL certs.

Your network connectivity such as accessing a VPN should be handled on the device level within the OS.

This is easier said than done with non-PC equipment, like Roku, Android TV, Firestick, Apple TV, etc.

Edited by computerprep