App Design - Leanback Library

Michael_Schmitz

Michael_Schmitz

Hi,

first of all: This is a fantastic app. I am using it now for a long time and it is getting better and better. Plex is so much behind regarding performance and features. 

I would like to understand why you are not implemented all of the leanback library designs. Espically the Details and Row Fragments. Is that something you do not want to consider? 

When I use the movies overview, wouldn't it be better to use the vertical Grid Fragment. At the moment the screens look overwhelming and confusing. 

And when I am in the detail view I would love to see the Details Fragment.

I don not want to bother you with that, but I like the leanback Design from Android TV very much.

Can you give me some explanations to that? Lots of thx in advance.

Best

Michael

post-57657-0-61255800-1466429095_thumb.png

• Like 1

I'm not sure I know exactly what you are asking for but we do use the row fragments extensively and include them in the details page as well (showing actors, scenes, related items etc.).

We also have a grid style display that you can make the default in movie libraries if you wish:

57680b1528e70_moviethumbgrid.png

Michael_Schmitz

But they seem to look totally different to the leanback library. I have attached, what I mean. 

post-57657-0-69519600-1466438447_thumb.png

That example is exactly what we are using on many of our screens but you asked about a grid so I showed that option as well.

576815198265a_rowfragment.png

Michael_Schmitz

Oh that is a misspelling from my side. I do not want especially a grid. I would like to more Screens like that. The Movie list is something, also the documentary.overview. I will screenshot tomorrow what I mean.

Best

MIchael

Michael_Schmitz

So, I made some screenshots from my emby app on android TV/Shield

What I want to express is, that from my point of view (I am not a designer and not a developer) I find the Emby app has some inconsistencies when using different views on different contents. Some Screens have leanback designs, some are not. I compared the actual Emby screens with other apps and the leanback library to make it clearer. From my perspective some screens are so packed with content that makes me loose orientation and hinders the optimal user experience for me:

First: The detail screen of a movie. I hope you understand what I mean. I gives to me more focus on the information and helps me better to navigate through the content

post-57657-0-16864600-1466499251_thumb.png

Second: TV-Shows: The Season overview: In Emby I have first have to click on the picture to get the information. In comparison to that the Picture with its title and short description (on google play video) helps me better select what I want to see

post-57657-0-01189200-1466499275_thumb.png

Third: Documentaries Overview: I have a vertical scrolling and alle Picture are jam packed next to each other. I am totally loosing orientation. The Grid from the leanback library seems to be a better solution. The Same with Movies or Music Videos. 

post-57657-0-45648800-1466499262_thumb.png

I am not sure, what is possible. Maybe you say, that the Information, that is stored in the emby server database, makes it difficult to display on the Screens. But you would do me a great favour if you explain the differences to me or what would be even better, tell me that you might think about that in future versions ;-)

Thx a lot in advance

Best

Michael

Edited by Michael_Schmitz

You are correct that we have not used the Google templates in all instances because people wanted more and different layouts than what those provide.  

Also, in the case of grids, to use vertical scrolling requires that you force each image to conform to a certain size and shape and we don't currently do that.  In many media apps where the app provider controls all of the content (like Google Videos) it is easy to do this.  But in our app, where we have to adjust to each individual users content, it would be much more restrictive to deform or crop images to all be the same size and shape.  So, we have gone with a horizontal scrolling design to account for differing image widths.

We have tried to strike a balance between the standard Google designs and what people have come to expect from full-featured media apps.  There can always be refinements and enhancements to this in the future but, while you are asking for strict adherence to the Google layouts, many others would ask us to completely abandon them for a custom design that looks more like other platforms.

• Like 2

MrWebsmith

yea i have to say that i have a definite personal preference for the "current/emby" picture in the first 2 choices .. the documentaries one isnt as clear cut either way to me.. but ebrs point about the system responding the layours to the a/r's of the media items is key in all the grids

Your example actually does show what I'm talking about with varying image widths but here is a more extreme example of what using the horizontal scrolling allows us to do:

55f33a3058699_photogrid.png

Michael_Schmitz

Ok for me. I would have wished a little more Leanback, but it is no tragedy for me. I love emby too much for its existing performance. 

Again, great work. I am looking forward for upcoming versions ;-)

Best Michael

Michael_Schmitz

One last wish ... 

Is it possible to get little more space between the different pictures within the grid view. Maybe with some thin frames around them. 

Just a wish ;-)

Best

Michael