Shuffle Single TV Episode

mrees

Hey all,

Apologies if this has already been asked (I tried searching everywhere, but I couldn't find anything)

Is there a way to shuffle a single tv series episode?

When i do a shuffle (using the play button, then shuffle), all episodes shuffle

Any advice would be awesome :)

Eg;

Press Play on Seinfeld TV series, select shuffle

The system then plays a single episode randomised

I use this a lot when cooking, or wanting to crash out to a TV show. I dont want the system playing all night, I just want one episode of a particular tv series at random

Edited by mrees

Bummer, so shuffle is only suitable for binge watching?

But why would you binge watch in shuffle mode?

Thanks for the response

Is there any particular reason this cant be a playback option?

"Shuffle" only makes sense with multiple items as it refers to randomizing the order of a list.

What you are really asking for is playback of a random single episode.  We simply haven't had many requests for such a function.

• Like 1

Because then I need to keep an eye on it

And have to jumps at the remote

A practical example:

Last night I put on a family guy episode as I was going to bed

I then woke up 2 hours later to it still playing and having marked countless episodes now watched

It's just not ideal, that's all

And most apps do have a way to play a episode randomly without it repeating

I don't really understand why you would bige watch in random, but that's just my watching habits I guess :)

"Shuffle" only makes sense with multiple items as it refers to randomizing the order of a list.

What you are really asking for is playback of a random single episode. We simply haven't had many requests for such a function.

That's very true. It's more of a random watch mode

It's something I have been very adjusted to and I dearly miss it :(

I think in the near future we'll have more sleep related features with Emby Theater which I think will help with this. Or we could have the app try to keep you awake :)

• Like 1

That's would be awesome

It's such a basic thing, but something that's just come part of my routine I guess.

Falling asleep to 1 episode of x. Usually setting the tv timer on for the visual and leaving the sonos to play the Audio until the episode is played out and I've hopefully passed out :) - bad habit I know

On any show that I've seen several times over, esp if it doesn't have a heavy underlining adjoining story (eg; most comedy), I usually play in random but it's always singular. Then I move on to a different show or watch the next unwatched on my new favourite series :)

jordy

You can turn autoplay off...

1  Click / touch / select your user icon at top right in the WebUI

2  Choose "Playback settings"

3  Uncheck "Play next episode automatically"

and you're done :)

Edited by jordy
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for the tip @@jordy

However, that only seems to work for the web interface

When I select that using the WebUI and playback with the WMC interface it still plays back continuously

jordy

Ok, there must be a setting in the WMC plugin then. I don't use it myself. You should ask @@ebr, I think that's his baby.

Ok, there must be a setting in the WMC plugin then. I don't use it myself. You should ask @@ebr, I think that's his baby.

He is shuffling the whole series or season but then only wants one episode to play.  That just isn't a scenario we've built into anything.

jordy

He is shuffling the whole series or season but then only wants one episode to play.  That just isn't a scenario we've built into anything.

yeah, but from his response to my post about stopping Auto play next episode, I think that if he could turn it off for WMC then he would be at least partially happy - eg it would stop episodes playing after he goes to sleep :) just a thought.

yeah, but from his response to my post about stopping Auto play next episode, I think that if he could turn it off for WMC then he would be at least partially happy - eg it would stop episodes playing after he goes to sleep :) just a thought.

No, it won't because he is requesting to play a group of episodes so it isn't automatically playing anything.

jordy

quote from OP "Is there a way to shuffle a single tv series episode?" not sure where you get the "group of" episodes from. post #11 also clarifies the need for one episode only to play whilst he cooks or crashes... I think it's just a poor choice of word for what he wants - should have asked for a Random pick rather than shuffle...

quote from OP "Is there a way to shuffle a single tv series episode?" not sure where you get the "group of" episodes from. post #11 also clarifies the need for one episode only to play whilst he cooks or crashes... I think it's just a poor choice of word for what he wants - should have asked for a Random pick rather than shuffle...

Correct (see my post above clarifying that).  So the only way at this point for him to start playback of a random episode is to ask to shuffle the whole series or season and that is what he is doing.  In that scenario, the automatic next episode feature is not in play at all so the option would have no effect.

jordy

Ok. Now I understand. Choosing shuffle does not play episodes in numerical value order... ah well, it seemed like a good idea.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk