@Redshirt

@darwindeeds

@ScottIsAFool

@gcw07

@BC101

@7illusions

@xnappo

This has been added to SystemInfo.

I know most of you are already checking SystemInfo.HasPendingRestart to let the user know that the server needs to be restarted. If you're not already doing this, please do so. But we're seeing 20% of our users stay on old versions of the server, and we know they're still active because they're still in use. Some are probably using it as a service which can't auto-update, and others are probably just leaving it unattended for long periods of time.

So if HasPendingRestart is false, then check HasUpdateAvailable, and if true, give them a message to let them know that they can login to their server to apply the update.

Sorry for the ping - it is just to make sure everyone is already using HasPendingRestart.

chef

How are you guys checking HasPendingRestart?

Is it when your client app starts only or are you guys polling the server during an event?

On the subject of available updates, I have one pending but when I restart I get a message saying that it cant find the file

Redshirt

MBC just checks at startup.

I do the same thing with Android and I'm considering changing it due to the way MB server updates. 

I decided to watch a movie today, so fired up MBC. I got greeted with a server restart dialog. I restarted. I got a second server restart dialog. I restarted. I got a third server restart dialog (due to a plugin update dependant on the second server update). I restarted. Then I got to actually watch my movie. 

All in all, I'm thinking I'm going t go the same route as MBT and make the user aware there's an update, likely with a visible icon in the UI, but I'm going to get rid of the blocking dialog that the user has to interact with.

Edited by Redshirt
  • Like 1

Red - this is an unfortunate consequence of the update cycle.  I use the restart plug-in to fix it for me.  I schedule two restarts each night about an hour apart and then I'm almost never bothered with a prompt on the client end.

• Like 1

Well, the problem we are attempting to address is the fact that people are not updating their servers.  Making the notification less intrusive is only going to exacerbate that problem.

Redshirt

I see your point. But seeing as both you and I are using blocking dialogs. Users are choosing not to restart and moving on. I believe a less obtrusive dialog will improve the experience for people who are looking to watch something during a given session rather than setup maintenance.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree, and an icon in the top right (possibly with a glow), that doesn't go away until the restart is enough. i think eventually they'll want to dismiss the icon so they'll just do it.

Since I can't control the screen presentation in any theme other than default and Chocolate, this really isn't an option for MBC anyway.  But, if people are ignoring the dialog now, they will certainly ignore an icon.

Redshirt

Hmm. I'm only showing it if the machine can self restart and the user is an admin. So I could improve there also.

Yeah, I have the can self restart restriction as well.  That is where this new setting will come in handy.  It will tell those folks that can't update automatically that there is an update available.

chef

Is it possible for the updates to happen consecutively one after another, if there had to be more then one?

this way there would only have to be one blocking message for restart?

I definitely am going to to "HasPendingRestart" with the Kinect App, since it will not block the interface, but rather speak the message through the speakers. 

Perhaps could we add an event handler to the websocket that fires an event when this flag is raised?

Then if there had to be a restart you could calculate variables, such as:

1. how long the user has been in session/ how long has it been since the user switched libraries?

If they have been in session for over a certain amount of time, or recently switched libraries, then save the blocking message because they are navigating the UI.

2. Is the user currently watching media?

If so wait to show the message/ auto restart.

Edited by chef

Is it possible for the updates to happen consecutively one after another, if there had to be more then one?

this way there would only have to be one blocking message for restart?

No it's just the nature of it when one update depends on another. I think Red's solution is on the right track.

I do the same thing with Android and I'm considering changing it due to the way MB server updates. 

I decided to watch a movie today, so fired up MBC. I got greeted with a server restart dialog. I restarted. I got a second server restart dialog. I restarted. I got a third server restart dialog (due to a plugin update dependant on the second server update). I restarted. Then I got to actually watch my movie. 

All in all, I'm thinking I'm going t go the same route as MBT and make the user aware there's an update, likely with a visible icon in the UI, but I'm going to get rid of the blocking dialog that the user has to interact with.

yea i would not suggest a blocking dialog.

I see your point. But seeing as both you and I are using blocking dialogs. Users are choosing not to restart and moving on. I believe a less obtrusive dialog will improve the experience for people who are looking to watch something during a given session rather than setup maintenance.

Yes, I agree, and an icon in the top right (possibly with a glow), that doesn't go away until the restart is enough. i think eventually they'll want to dismiss the icon so they'll just do it.