Bluray 3d content to TV or Android TV?

perx

Hi all, appreciate your feedback on this.  Both TVs in my main viewing areas support 3D, and I enjoy watching 3D, but there isn't much streaming content available in 3D.  So I've resigned myself to thinking I'll need to buy 3D blurays, but I'm really not sure what the best way to get the content to my TVs.

I have a Windows Emby Server that I've been using mostly to expose Live/Recorded TV from my HDHR to my mobile devices.  At the TVs I have a mix of Nexus Players and Nvidia Shields, not leveraging the Emby server for anything.  For movies, I've traditionally used Vudu or Cinemanow to access my ultraviolet collection.  I don't have bluray players (except at the Windows server), and not really interested in attaching additional devices to the TVs.

Can I rip the blurays to ISO or MKV and put them in the Emby Server to watch on the Emby client on the Android TVs?  I guess I'd prefer to rip them so they don't need to transcode, but would like to get the best quality possible.

Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Vidman

You would have better luck using spmc on your android TV's with the emby for kodi addon to access your Blu-ray rips on your emby server

especially with regards to 3d content and isos

Edited by Vidman

MSattler

You would have better luck using spmc on your android TV's with the emby for kodi addon to access your Blu-ray rips on your emby server

especially with regards to 3d content and isos

Honestly, none of my movies transcode anymore now on the Shield with the latest Emby client.  The only reason I would go to Kodi, would be for TrueHD passthrough which it can do on the shield, and the Emby app cannot.

For 3D playback it get's more difficult, the only player I've used that can play back 3D MVC rips <makemkv> is the rpi2, which has a built in 3d decoder, and works splendid, you are just limited to the PCM Audio out from the rpi2.

Vidman

kodi / spmc has some support for 3d and isos .....the emby app has none

Edited by Vidman