Automatic updates have been failing since around 3.1.10.0

pclausen

pclausen

Lately (the last few weeks), the beta updates have been failing for me with what, according to the logs, appear to be an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" type error.  See attached logs.

Logs show that Emby exists to perform application update, but it never does.  When it happens, I have to launch MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe manually which fires up the old version, in this case 3.1.20.0.  I'm then able to unzip the Mbserver.zip file in the updates folder, shut down Emby, and then manually copy the content of the system folder from the update, into the main system folder.

I should also note that when this happens, the only file in the updates folder is Mbserver.zip.ver.  I have to launch the old version before the Mbserver.zip file with the new version shows up.

Anyway, once the copy of the new files into the system folder is done, I can manually launch Emby again, and I'm now on the new version (3.1.22 in this case) and all is well again.

What do I need to do to get back to this working automatically again, like it did for many months prior to this?

Thanks

server-63601545600.txt

server-63601563941.txt

pclausen

Same issue going from 3.1.22.0 to 3.1.24.0.

Here's the dashboard page when I pulled it up this morning.  Note the 2 entries under Recent Activity showing update to 3.1.24

embynoupdate01.JPG

At the time I took the above screenshot, I had this in my update folder:

embynoupdate02.JPG

I then click RESTART NOW, and Emby never comes back.  I check the update folder, and now it only contains the VER File.

So I then start Emby server manually, and version 3.1.22 fires up.  I now have the Mbserver.zip file.  I open it up, shut down Emby, and once again, manually copy over the contents of the system folder.

I now launch Emby, and I'm on version 3.1.24 and all is well again.

So any idea why Emby isn't updating without manual intervention any longer?

pclausen

Issue resolved.  Solution was to reboot the physical server.  Thinking back, I recall having this issues once or twice over the last year.  So I guess sometimes things get a little out of sync, and a reboot of the entire system is in order.

allen00se

Issue resolved.  Solution was to reboot the physical server.  Thinking back, I recall having this issues once or twice over the last year.  So I guess sometimes things get a little out of sync, and a reboot of the entire system is in order.

I know on my Emby install for some reason after updates the restart doesn't kill whatever is listening on port 8096. When emby tries to restart its port isn't available and it dies. The reboot of your PC might just be freeing up the port.

breezytm

I used to experienced that a lot when I was running Emby in windows. Considering I allowed automatic updates and my Emby server was on my HTPC attached to the TV with no keyboard or mouse, it was the worst. I recalled suggesting to close all related processes prior to updating the software. I don't think that was ever implemented.