Linux 14.04 LTS Emby Server Stops Responding

James W

James W

This is an issue I've had a while but have been trying different things to resolve it before reporting. At least once a day on average my Emby server will just stop responding. It doesn't seem to have completely crashed as it is reported as still running every time I check. 

I am using 3 Kodi OpenELEC devices on Kodi 15.2 using the Emby Addon (direct streaming via SMB)

Android App from playstore (Purchased)

Doing a "sudo service emby-server restart" fixes the issue every time but doing it everyday at random times is of course frustrating. I've attached the most recent occurrence logs. It seems that it will crash randomly and at random times. I have tried to move the scheduled task times around to try and pinpoint if a task was doing it but have had no luck. I thought at first it was the People refresh task as that has hung a couple times and takes the longest of every task. I moved it to once a week on Wednesday and it still crashed today so not that one.

I also have changed Trakt sync times, library scan times, etc no difference.

The most recent change is to add more ram to the VM. I upped it to 4GB from 2GB and it seems that it it lasted one extra day before going non responsive. I am using dynamic memory and it never seems to go over 2GB (used to use fixed memory no difference)

A bit about my setup:

Fileserver - Windows Server 2012 R2 Virtual Machine in Hyper-V 2 vCPU's (Xeon) 2GB Memory

Emby Server - Ubuntu 14.04 VM running in Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper V (Now Dynamic memory) 2 vCPU's (Xeon) 4096GB Memory (Dynamic 1024-4096) 20GB HDD - Using SMB shares mounts in /media/ with fstab file

Main Server hosting 5 VM's is a Xeon Quad Core with 32GB DDR4 ram running on Supermicro MB. Files are on Raid 10 drives and OS's are on 500GB Samsung SSD.

I have looked over the logs and there is not much I see as an issue. It seems every time the server hangs the last few lines are always:

2016-06-14 02:00:00.5216 Info ServerManager: Sending web socket message ScheduledTaskEnded

2016-06-14 02:00:00.5216 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks

This time the server seems to have got hung up around 2am

Edit: Ubuntu Server is running nothing but Emby at this time. It was a fresh 14.04 LTS install then Emby installed right after

Any suggestions/help will be very much appreciated! 

EmbyServerLog20160614-Hang@2am.txt

Edited by zippy-man

Hi, a couple things I would try are bumping up to mono 4.2.3 as we've seen great results with that version. Then I would try removing plugins and seeing if the issue persists with the core server. thanks.

James W

Thank you Luke. I will try mono first and then eliminate plugins one by one if not resolved. 

Current plugins:

Email Notifications

Server Backup

Kodi Sync

Trakt

Thank you again for all your hard work and great support. I am new to Emby (1 month or so) and absolutely love it. You guys have created something pretty amazing.

James W

Wanted to give an update.

I upgraded mono on 6/14 to 4.2.3 as suggested and the server has been running since with no issues at all. Thank you again for the support