Remote Client issue FireTV gen2

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi

I have one remote user with a FireTV gen2. He consistently has logon issues. Every time after a period of inactivity, when he opens the app he just get a grey screen. It doesn't error out just sits there per his report. Sorry I have not personally witnessed the behavior.

Clearing the cache and data for the app, resets everything and the connection process runs flawlessly. But my user has to setup the server connection and setting each time he re-enters (makes sense). The app run flawlessly once connected.

Obviously this is problematic for the user. In addition to the above I deleted the device on the server so it would recreate which it did when he went through the setup process.

He is using manual connect to a dynamic dns name to the server, correct ports are open on the server router etc.

What should I do next? If you need logs let me know which ones etc. He is on 1.20a (The latest production release anyway)

Thanks!!

-vicpa

Vicpa

Hi

I pm'd the username. I think I will also create to try and create another id for him. He is new so there would be little impact.

-vicpa

Thx.  I was hoping maybe the app was sending a log automatically but it doesn't appear that it is.

My guess is that he leaves the app running (because its just about impossible to actually close an app on this device) and the network is interrupted and that is causing the app to crash.

You can tell him to try backing all the way out of the app when he is done and see if the behavior changes.  Thanks.

Vicpa

Hi,

This has turned into a sporatic thing. Sometimes the app will open right away, sometimes just the grey screen. If the user makes several attempts to open the app again he is generally successful.

Just a wild guess is there some startup behavior that could be timing out or failing in the weird case? How does the app determine https, (you can yell at me if I forgot about an app setting :P )​  I don't have https setup on my server. Does the app know by the port number or does it always try an https connection?

Just reaching at straws, probably no clue.

Thanks

-vicpa

The grey screen means the app has crashed and it probably didn't just crash.  More than likely, the app was still running when they turned everything off the last time and then crashed at some later point (probably due to the network connection going away or something).  If I could get a log of that I could probably fix it but, since it is the network connection going away, I can't :).

So, to work around it, I suggest one of a couple things:

1) If he has modified the "Auto logout" time beyond the default 1 hr tell him to put that back to 1 hr.

2) if he hasn't, tell him to try setting it to 30 minutes.