Parental Controls/Schedule

Jeff-Ist

Jeff-Ist

Hello,

I tried to work with Emby parental controls this week end and the behaviour was not what I expected. I looked in the forum and could not see this addressed, sorry if I missed it.

There it goes: My kids were using the "kids" account on my server last Saturday. This account had a scheduled time on a Saturday of 10:00 to 23:00. Now they started a movie around 21:30 and at 23:00 I was expecting the system to just cut straight their movie but it did not.

I was surprised: My understanding is the way it works is if you connect with a scheduled account, the system will limit the LOG IN within the scheduled time. But once you have logged in it will not kick you out? This is what I observed and I would tend to think it defeats the purpose of scheduling...Maybe there was a malfunction? Could you clarify how it is supposed to work?

Actually what would be great and more practical is setting up a daily limit per user. So some days 30 Minutes, some days 2h. That would be great and would give you the flexibility needed for limiting TV for kids. Time scheduling is too rigid.

Any plan on introducing time limits?

Cheers

Jeff

I believe it would not have let them start a new item and it also probably would have kicked them out if they tried to navigate anywhere after the set time.  It just won't stop playback I don't believe.

Jeff-Ist

I think this is misleading. So I am not at home, I set the end of scheduled time at 20:00 and my kids start Lord of The Rings at 19:59 and this is no problem for Emby. I respectfully suggest you should reconsider your design on this :) It does not serve the suggested purpose at all. It should cut at the end time or this is pretty useless.

What about a time limit function? X minutes a day?

Cheers

• Like 1

horstepipe

same problem for disabling a user!

The user can still go on watching the current video.

If you can't change that behaviour you shoud at least adjust the misleading description:

"If disabled the server will not allow any connections from this user. Existing connections will be abruptly terminated."

Edited by horstepipe

Jeff-Ist

I am trying to decide between Plex and Emby. This parental control feature if rightly implemented would definitely win the day for Emby :) Plex does not even have a scheduled times function just control over ratings.

Please implement savagely cutting the playback after end time :) also daily time limits would be killer.

Mac OS X has got that as standard and it is just great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutting out during playback is obviously a good idea, it's just a little more work because we have to do the work individually in every single app. We were looking for a quick way to add value to the server. At some point we can go back and improve it even more.

• Like 1

Jeff-Ist

So you mean if you were to cut from server, the client would have still some buffer there? If not restrict buffering and cut from server...That would be really great to improve it with cutting playback and adding daily time limits not just scheduling. But well I suppose knowing how it works I can sort of work around the limitations a bit.

Thanks

Jeff

No, he's just saying that there is only so much we can do and there are definitely improvements that can be made here. They all have to fall in line of other priorities however.

The way we have it implemented now isn't perfect but serves the need of most people.

Jeff-Ist

Ok dokey. By the way is there such a public list of priorities that are being worked upon and is one of them sync function on iOS? ;)

• Like 1

horstepipe

Ok dokey. By the way is there such a public list of priorities that are being worked upon and is one of them sync function on iOS? ;)

yeah think that was mentioned quite often before, but more transparency on what's currently being worked on would be really helpful.

I'm sure that there is a lot to do the customer is not aware of, and that there are far too much feature requests that you could handle them all simultaneously.

But for us (the customers), especially for the paying ones, it was kind of satisfying if we knew what is being worked on, and especially, that there is something being worked on at all.

Regards