Cannot uninstall Emby server - Windows 8.1

Mike Rubin

Mike Rubin

I spent some time with Emby Server on my Windows 8.1 system but it does not meet my needs. I tried to uninstall it using the Windows Control Panel program removal process, but the uninstaller crashed immediately. I tried rerunning it several times, but each time I received error messages referring to missing files.  After these messages, I again would get the access control dialogue box asking if I wanted to run the uninstaller. As soon as I clicked "ok," however, I got the Windows error message that  the uninstaller stopped working and that Windows needed to close it. 

I looked at some posts on this forum that discussed uninstall issues. One suggested reinstalling and then uninstalling, so I tried that.  The results were identical.

Emby Server still remains on the list in the Control Panel uninstall pane. That, plus the failures to run to completion, suggest that the server still is on my computer.  I have no reason to believe that I can uninstall using the standard process, but is there a way I can remove files and registry entries manually?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edited by Mike Rubin

We don't add any registry entries (other than the stuff that standard installers add for control panel) and all files (as long as you didn't customize any paths) are in %appdata%\Emby-Server\.

Mike Rubin

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I found those files using search but hesitated just to delete without knowing whether there are registry dependencies that needed to be addressed. Sounds as though I can get by if I just delete. I appreciate this information.