MB2 Upgrade Time

Trevor68

Trevor68

Hi all, long time lurker, decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to MBC today from MB2. The Server has been installed and running well for a few months, so hopefully good to go, just have a few niggly questions that trawling this forum I seem to have missed somehow.

First my Setup is Win7 HTPC, with everything local to it, including MB2 and the MB3 Server.

1: I guess I should uninstall MB2 and cleanup my MC Entries before I start?

2: Can I setup the same win+1 shorcut for my remote to start MBC, and also can the MC menus be customised using Media Center Studio like before?

it all looks very familiar, but looks can be deceptive I guess, so thought it worthwhile checking.

Apologies in advance if my searching has failed and all this is of course old ground.

DGMayor

1. yes

2. yes for the shortcut.  If you're referring to custom entry points with the second part of the question, I believe they are no longer supported.

Edited by DGMayor

Trevor68

Sorry, I "think" custom entry points is more detailed then I'm actually using. Using media Center Studio I have simply created another "line" under the TV one on the MC Home Page for my plugins, like MB2, heatwave etc etc.

So I guess i just want to replace the default "home" icon for MB2 with a MB3 one, and wanted to know if that can still be done using media Center Studio these days.

Thanks for the answer to 1, I was pretty sure, but found no mention of blowing away MB2 first anywhere.

Are the rules here a topic per question? As I forgot to ask if there are any Media Center Master users here, and if I need to alter anything about that for MB3.

DGMayor

If you're just talking about shifting the MB3 icon within Media Center to another line, yes, you should still be able to do that.  That's more of a WMC thing than a MB3 thing.

As far as a 3rd party metadata program like MCM, you can still use them.  MB3 has a very powerful metadata fetcher built in, so you may find you no longer need MCM.  You can turn off the internal metadata fetcher and continue to use MCM if you wish, but I would say give the internal a test run.  It's going to pull everything you need, and quite possibly more accurately than an external program (I still sort of use Metabrowser, but I also have the internal running and I'm getting ready to phase out the external).