Advantage to a "Fresh Install"?

pir8radio

pir8radio

I'm still running off of the original Media Browser install directories...  Though when I look in my control panel under "Add Remove Programs" I see an Emby install and a Media Browser install.. Humm wonder what happens if I un-install Media browser only?   ^_^    

But anyway my real question is: Are there any advantages to doing a fresh "EMBY" install? If so, can someone explain these advantages in detail?  And what I can/should keep from the original install.

I do NOT store meta data in media folders, I keep it in its own folder if that has any different effect.

Edited by pir8radio

Newer and better ways of doing things emerge over time. Sometimes we migrate existing installations to them (possibly leaving waste), and sometimes we don't at all if we think it's too risky. If you're happy with your current install or don't have a reason to start fresh, then I would stay right where you are.

• Like 1

Especially since you don't save meta with your media.  That fact would mean re-building it for a library of your size would be quite lengthy.  I do suggest you change that strategy in case you ever do need to re-build.

• Like 1

pir8radio

Especially since you don't save meta with your media.  That fact would mean re-building it for a library of your size would be quite lengthy.  I do suggest you change that strategy in case you ever do need to re-build.

@@ebr what do you mean?  I do it just because i don't want all of that in with my media, why is it a bad thing? and what will happen if I need to rebuild?  will it overwrite all of the meta data, or double it up? will it reuse the existing items?  If I ever do rebuild I guess i would just delete all of that info and start over lol...   Thats kind of why I was asking trying to figure out if its "worth" it...   Thanks guys!

jordy

i think what ebr is saying is that if you save metadata with your media, emby will use that in any rebuild, thus saving you from having to re-download everything everytime. Storing it elsewhere may cause emby to download it afresh thus taking much longer.

• Like 1

techywarrior

If you don't store the meta data in the media folders then it's all stored in a folder in the Emby directory (ebr/luke can correct any mistakes I make here). Since those folders are based on the unique ID created for each media item, even if you copied that directory to your new install, the GUID for each item would be different in the past.

Therefore by not storing the meta data with your media all that meta data, posters, backdrops, etc. would need to be redownloaded.

From what I remember seeing here, your library is HUGE so having to download all the images and meta data again would take a while.

• Like 2

wiretap

I have a fairly large collection (1550 HD movies, and 80 complete high-def TV series).. I've found that no matter how big or small your collection, it is worth it to store the metadata in your media folders, not with a specific application folder. It makes things way easier for re-installs, and also provides metadata content to other front-end applications you might use.

pir8radio

Thanks for the additional input guys... That clears things up for me!   @@wiretap I think the concerns are with my music library, I'm still working on the movies!   But the music videos are around 12,000 (no real meta data there though) and my MP3's are somewhere around 140,000  Though most have embed album art and what not, emby would still have to work to get all of that info...   Even though I only have a few hundred movies, I can see that taking a while too, some of the free services only allow so many query's per day.  Again, thanks guys!!!