Why does iOS app have to transcode so much when VLC app plays everything natively

chrisoldroyd

chrisoldroyd

This might well be a stupid question but its the one thing that drives me mad when you have a less than stella server!

Running the beautiful Emby iOS app on my iPad playing most of my content results in delayed starts and stuttering as the app needs the streams transcoded for most things I have. If I just hit my server folder structure with the VLC app it plays everything fawlessly including high end audio and 1080p content so the iPad is capable of doing all this. Of course the downside is my watched status etc is never updated this way so its a pain.

So my question is, will the Emby iOS app ever being as compatible as the VLC app and require much less if any transcoding to be done?

Thanks

Chris

Hi, welcome. The iOS uses the native apple video player. Vlc embeds all of it's own decoders which gives it access to a few more formats.

fc7

Also check how fast your battery drains using VLC against using Emby/transcoding.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisoldroyd

My battery can drain as fast as it wants, at least I can watch my content! Having a full battery and watching stutter vision is no fun! 

So will this ever change or is this the way it is? What about Android, or Windows 10? Do they work the same way as iOS? I am planning on buying a new tablet soon and this is an important thing to consider?

jscoys

Hi, welcome. The iOS uses the native apple video player. Vlc embeds all of it's own decoders which gives it access to a few more formats.

And stop me if i'm wrong, but the native iOS video player is almost limited to a specific format so Emby will need to transco almost everything...

• Like 1

chrisoldroyd

And stop me if i'm wrong, but the native iOS video player is almost limited to a specific format so Emby will need to transco almost everything...

Yep, that seems to be my experience. I could get a more powerful server but I prefer not to transcode at all as all it does is degrade your content anyway.

Our android app embeds libVlc and can direct play quite a bit.

On iOS, keep in mind, even though ffmpeg is running we are often able to avoid a full video transcode and just stream copy the original video. So in many cases, it's an audio-only transcode.

iOS is probably the most restrictive environment there is when it comes to video format support.

Compatibility has never really been a goal of Apple... ;)

Apple's restrictions are what make Apple Apple, and I don't necessarily think they should change them all and try to become Android. If that were to happen there'd be no point in having different platform options. Do you know how many friends i have tell me their android phone is terrible because of poor battery life?. They blame the device but what they don't know is that the freedom given to android app developers comes with a price, in that nobody is really forcing them to conserve the battery. So in this situation, by forcing the content providers to use the formats they want, they are ensuring that your video playback fits within all of their other goals they have for Apple devices.

Before you jump on me I'm not saying Apple shouldn't support other formats, I am only saying that there are reasons (and benefits) to these decisions that they make.

• Like 2

Yep, it's the ghost of Steve - who still doesn't want you to be able to open the box because he knows you'll just screw it up :).

• Like 4