Kodi version compatibility

Wingfat

Wingfat

I just tried to run Emby on FreeNAS connected to my Kodi system. It reported that the Kodi version was not compatible. I believe I'm running one of the new Beta versions. Question is what is the latest version of Kodi that is compatible with the newest version of Emby?

Thanks in advance!

Wingfat

The kodi addon only officially supports full versions of kodi

Full version like in non-Beta official releases? Does that include LibreElec kodi distributions as well?

Delphi

Yes, all versions up to Jarvis are compatible. Be they OpenELEC, LibreELEC, OSMC, etc...

Edited by Delphi
  • Like 1

Wingfat

Yes, all versions up to Jarvis are compatible. Be they OpenELEC, LibreELEC, OSMC, etc...

Thank you for your quick response....

Dlarge

is it in the near future be a version for Kodi 17 Krypton? I would like to test the Milhouse builds. :D

Wheemer

There is a difference between being supported and being lazy.

Krypton has been testing for a while without problems. It would make sense if the code was changed to support krypton and then a kodi update broke it. But the way the devs are blocking this simple code update it sad and pathetic. Complaining about potential problems when they have no basis is ridiculous. Emby worked just fine in 16 before RC.

kodibart

I had to leave the milhouse LibreElec builds otherwise the emby app would not work. Unfortunately I also had to say goodby to the new standard skin Estuary

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

xnappo

There is a difference between being supported and being lazy.

Krypton has been testing for a while without problems. It would make sense if the code was changed to support krypton and then a kodi update broke it. But the way the devs are blocking this simple code update it sad and pathetic. Complaining about potential problems when they have no basis is ridiculous. Emby worked just fine in 16 before RC.

Pull requests welcome.

You are not doing yourself any favors by behaving like  spoiled child.

• Like 4

Jdiesel

The problem with the Kodi Krypton Alpha and Beta builds, even though they function reliably, is that there are frequent changes to the Kodi database during these points in development. It makes no sense for the Emby for Kodi devs to try and chase compatibility with Kodi until the database version is locked in and finalized. We saw this happen when Jarvis was being developed and at any given time a new nightly could push a new database version causing Emby for Kodi to stop working without notice and all the users would flock to the forums looking for support and requesting an ETA on an updated version. I too look forward for Krypton compatibility but am content with waiting so the devs can update the plugin against a stationary target.

• Like 1

mguebert

I wasn't trying to start a flame war, I do have it working with help from the devs for which I am grateful. For that reason I stick with the build I am using and don't upgrade unless I have to. 

Nevermind I was in the wrong thread. 

Edited by mguebert

xnappo

The problem with the Kodi Krypton Alpha and Beta builds, even though they function reliably, is that there are frequent changes to the Kodi database during these points in development. It makes no sense for the Emby for Kodi devs to try and chase compatibility with Kodi until the database version is locked in and finalized. We saw this happen when Jarvis was being developed and at any given time a new nightly could push a new database version causing Emby for Kodi to stop working without notice and all the users would flock to the forums looking for support and requesting an ETA on an updated version. I too look forward for Krypton compatibility but am content with waiting so the devs can update the plugin against a stationary target.

This is exactly right.  And we have been trying to make the low level changes as they occur and just leaving the top level DB version unsupported so that advanced users can Alpha test.  If we published a version that worked with alpha1 and then they changed the database in alpha2, we would get a whole bunch of people complaining the kids can't watch Sponge Bob.

• Like 1

cw-kid

So reading this thread is sounds like I am safe to update Kodi to version 16.1 Jarvis from Kodi version 15.2 Isengard. As there had not been any beta updates of the Kodi add-on for quite sometime I came here looking to double check. 

MSattler

If we published a version that worked with alpha1 and then they changed the database in alpha2, we would get a whole bunch of people complaining the kids can't watch Sponge Bob.

Oh get off your high horse, Luke breaks crap all of the time.  Have you not learned, you solve that by replying "Thank you for testing pre-release".

Easy does it!

=)

That's not his high horse. If i were him I wouldn't want to support alpha level Kodi versions either. When users report issues with dev level browsers I tell them the same thing, thanks for reporting, we'll look at it when it gets to RC.

xnappo

So reading this thread is sounds like I am safe to update Kodi to version 16.1 Jarvis from Kodi version 15.2 Isengard. As there had not been any beta updates of the Kodi add-on for quite sometime I came here looking to double check. 

Yep, Jarvis is officially supported.

e123enitan

This is exactly right. And we have been trying to make the low level changes as they occur and just leaving the top level DB version unsupported so that advanced users can Alpha test. If we published a version that worked with alpha1 and then they changed the database in alpha2, we would get a whole bunch of people complaining the kids can't watch Sponge Bob.

No doubt this make absolute sense it like chasing a moving target, a constant moving wheel. It would be overwhelming to manage such task given that dev team are not paid a dime for the plugin, it is done on a free will basis. I fully support the decision to only support when Kodi is at RC stage.

Just my 2 cents thoughts

Edited by e123enitan
  • Like 3