Question about transcoding

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

I'm having some weird problems with transcoding and I'm having problems reconciling when the problem happened.

All my media is transcoded at 640x360 @ 2K bitrate.

The newest patch came out on 5/26 for the server and, fairly, most of last week I was flinging things around so I wasn't running media through the server much.

Now, everything that was direct playing before isn't and the browser can't be set to 480p @ 2k, only 480p @ 1k. I believe this is forcing the server to transcode down to 1k.

I'm unsure if there's an additional setting I may have tweaked, but I ensured under streaming, may bitrate is set to 2 and preferred quality is best available. I also have all the substitutions updated from moving files around.

Here's the latest transcode log:

The question is, why aren't these direct playing anymore.

transcode-03793abc-c762-4ab6-a91e-729ebebaa04f.txt

Edited by Lighthammer

Lighthammer

Yea, sometimes my transcoding program puts it slightly higher with auto adjusts.

Do I need to account for that in some way?

This is content I've never had problems with before, but beyond the server patch, I was tinkering with settings a bit, but I think the only thing I tried was to use the hardware accelerator option, which didn't work.

The only other new thing, besides files being moved around that I changed was 

#1.) Place meta content in folders they're associated with (can't see this causing a problem).

#2.) Mapping network shares to the computer running Emby and added those into the library; though this media example isn't from one of those shares.

#3.) Added the trailer plugin.

I'm more at a loss why the client doesn't have the 480p/2K option. I'm almost positive the problem is, the browser doesn't let me choose anything higher than 480p/1k

Edited by Lighthammer

Why not just play and enjoy the content? You said you specified a max bitrate of 2mbps and you got exactly what you asked for. If you want 3 mbps then pick 3. I'm not really sure what the issue is. You can also try automatic.

Lighthammer

Because its lagging. I can't enjoy content that's spurring every 5 seconds.

I won't be here saying there's a problem if it was streaming right, would I?

Edited by Lighthammer

Lighthammer

On a different user, it offers me the "Direct play" option which isn't offered on my main account on this server for some reason.

Because its lagging. I can't enjoy content that's spurring every 5 seconds.

I won't be here saying there's a problem if it was streaming right, would I?

Well you didn't say lagging up until this point. All you talked about was whether it was transcoding or not transcoding.

it looks like you enabled ffmpeg debug logging which is no longer in the UI because it can degrade performance. try deleting the encoding.xml file under the server's program data folder to reset that config value, then restart the server.

did you enable debug logging a long time ago or did you edit the config file by hand?

Lighthammer

Hmm,

At some point my main profile was updated and that's where the problem was.

Profile -> Playback Settings -> Advanced

It was specified at 720. I changed it to automatic and that gave me direct playback.

I don't recall changing but who knows when I was monkey around with the settings trying to troubleshoot. 

So for documentation purposes, Direct Play only shows up for me if:

Profile -> Playback Settings -> Advanced -> Max Streaming Bit Rate is set to Automatic

Otherwise, I can't direct play and 480p / 2k does NOT show up.

Lighthammer

it looks like you enabled ffmpeg debug logging which is no longer in the UI because it can degrade performance. try deleting the encoding.xml file under the server's program data folder to reset that config value, then restart the server.

did you enable debug logging a long time ago or did you edit the config file by hand?

I'll try that in addition. It's likely. I've been running this server for around 2 years.

I've been streamlining backend configuration because I'll be upgrading in about a month.

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately I am just going to have to remove that hidden config switch because it creates a very bad situation for us. You enable it, it turns out to not work well in your environment, and then naturally your first assumption is that there's an Emby problem. Well in this case we don't really need it anyway.

Lighthammer

To be clear, it seems like this particular problem had to do with the client side.

Once I changed it to automatic on the client side, it let me select direct play again.

I've always felt that Emby wasn't particularly good at helping you understand what you need to do to get direct play.

In a case like mine, I encoded all my media exactly the same to take guess work out of the equation.

I'd really like an option to just tell Emby "Never encode" on the server side and client side.

The options are clearly there, they just aren't easily outlined in the UI.

I think it would solve a lot of problems if there was an explicit check box to these ends.

Edited by Lighthammer