How to organize Artists with Albums and Single-Tracks?

Pixelpaule
Go to solution Solved by Pixelpaule,

Pixelpaule
Hey guys,

i'have some issues with my Music Library and Emby. If I'm keeping the structure:

\Genre

\Artist Name

\Album Name

1- Song.mp3

2- Song.mp3

folder.jpg

\Artist Name

\Single Track Name

Single-Track.mp3

folder.jpg

emby creates for every single track a new Album. But i only want to show up the full Albums at the Category "Albums". I have many Artists of which i have only one or two songs. I would like to collect the single tracks of a "Genre" in folder called "Various":

\Genre

\Artist Name 01

\Album Name

1- Song.mp3

2- Song.mp3

folder.jpg

\Artist Name 02

\Album Name

1- Song.mp3

2- Song.mp3

folder.jpg

\Various

Artist01 - Single-Track01.mp3

Artist01 - Single-Track02.mp3

Artist02 - Single-Track01.mp3

Artist03 - Single-Track01.mp3

Artist03 - Single-Track02.mp3

If i do that emby do not shown the Cover of the single tracks. All my cover images are saved in the ID-Tags from the mp3 files. But emby only finds the folder.jpg. What is the right structure for a music library which contains full Albums and single tracks from an artist?

Sorry for my bad english!

Pixelpaule

roberth58

It will be easier to use the genre tag to sort by genre rather than using genre folders. Emby is happiest with artist/album/songs structure. The images are at the album level so not sure how to show different images by song. For your compilations I would either make fake albums with "various artists" as the albumartist  and the individual artist in the artist field and use the genre as the album title or just have artist/album/songs structure with only some of the songs from the album. Nothing is going to be perfect.

Deathsquirrel

When I had that issue I just looked up what album those tracks were from and then tagged and organized them accordingly.  I subsequently trashed all the single tracks.

Pixelpaule

hey,

thanks for your answers! I hope that emby sometimes can show the Cover (Coverarts) from the MP3 ID-Tags directly. It would be so much easier to sort your Music Libary with your own folder structure. Is it possible that there will be this function in the future?

Sorry for my bad english :)

Pixelpaule

Edited by Pixelpaule

• Solution
Pixelpaule

Hey guys,

after a fresh installation of emby server app and deleting the “.config” folder on my mac everything works fine. Emby gets the cover images from the mp3 id tags and every song has its own. I think it was a caching problem. Now i know how emby works with the images.

Even my desired arrangement of the "Various folder structure" is working absolutely fine.

\Genre

\Artist Name 01

\Album Name

1- Song.mp3

2- Song.mp3

folder.jpg

\Artist Name 02

\Album Name

1- Song.mp3

2- Song.mp3

folder.jpg

\Various

Artist01 - Single-Track01.mp3

Artist01 - Single-Track02.mp3

Artist02 - Single-Track01.mp3

Artist03 - Single-Track01.mp3

Artist03 - Single-Track02.mp3

folder.jpg

All songs do not belong to an album are stored in a folder called “various”. In this folder i have copied the folder.jpg for the cover-art of this folder. The cover-art of the songs gets emby from the id tags and every song has an individual cover-artwork.  One thing is very important. The songs must be stored directly in the folder “various” and not in a subfolder of this. Otherwise emby would recognize this as a separate album. For my folder structure the songs are tagged like this one:

Filename: Warriyo - Penumbra (VIP mix).mp3

Artist: Warriyo

Title: Penumbra (VIP mix)

Album: DnB & Dubstep & Glitch Hop

Album-Artist: Various

Genre: DnB & Dubstep & Glitch Hop

and so on...

I think other structures like "Various Artists" as folder name and as "Album-Artists" name working too. I'm from Germany so i want german designations for the structure of the mp3 id tags and folders. The taggs and folder names are:

Folder: "Diverse"

Tags:

Filename: Warriyo - Penumbra (VIP mix).mp3

Artist: Warriyo

Title: Penumbra (VIP mix)

Album: DnB & Dubstep & Glitch Hop

Album-Artist: Diverse

Genre: DnB & Dubstep & Glitch Hop

So I can get my genre / artist / album or genre / "various" / song structure maintained.

One important feature is missing in Emby. A simple way to clear the cache. Like a button on the server dashboard or something like this. Because i think that i have problems with the caching before. All this functionality has only works after a complete fresh installation of emby and clearing the “.config” folder.

If somebody has any questions i try to give an answer or help.

Sorry for my bad english.