How good is Netflix? Is it worth the $$

Brendon

Brendon

Just wondering i see plenty using NetFlix here, we cannot get it in Australia without using proxies and other tricks to make it think we are somewhere we are not and i never seen it as worth the effort, so what's so good about it? Please tell.

There are a lot of rumours flying around that it will launch here this year, aussies seem to eat digital media like pacman on dots and the big guns have taken notice and aiming our way.

So i wonder, do i proxy, do i wait or do i not bother?

Redshirt

I like it because it exposes me to movies I wouldn't always be aware of. Plus the $8-9 CAD that it costs me a month is not much more than a single video store rental.

Koleckai Silvestri

How good Netflix depends on your viewing habits and what you are looking for. In my family, we use it a lot. My daughter accesses it when she is away at University. We watch it at home. We have a decent internet connection (50 mbps) with no bandwidth caps. Using their profiles, each family member gets their own lists. My daughter watches a lot of Anime. My stepson watches cartoons and the occasional movie. My wife and I use it to catch up on television series, often binge watching entire seasons in a couple of evenings. They don't have all the latest movies on stream if that is what you're looking for though.

We have Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon Instant here. Less expensive than cable and we still get access to most movies and television over time. Netflix is used the most though.

Netflix quietly removing over 100 titles in January

http://www.neowin.net/news/netflix-quietly-removing-over-100-titles-in-january

I only find Netflix useful for documentaries and that's it. Everything else I have in blurays/dvds then rip them and use MediaBrowser to have my own complete little private netflix that I don't have to worry about some studio removing titles from. Waste of $9.99 a month in my opinion.

Brendon

@@Redshirt, that's handy right there would save a lot of trawling the net for whats out and something different to watch and rental prices are a joke so have to agree on cost, why rent a movie you can buy for 12 bucks on Blu-Ray a month after release lol

@ the off-site streaming interests me, at the moment i download everything (100M/10M cable connection but we are capped in Oz, i have 500GB peak and another 500GB off-peak), being a former .torrent site coder i have access to some sites most don't even know exist, so everything is downloaded and sent to the server (currently holding about 1600 movies and over 9000 tv episodes).

At the moment that 500GB cops it sideways because i have 3 kids aged between 8-16, they spend every second week at their mother's, when there if they stream from the server, i am wearing the up and their mother the down, on top of that if i open uTorrent without checking if they are connected they grind to a halt. So what you describe would give them plenty to watch without the drain on both data caps.

PS i don't torrent everything :P there are over 200 blu-rays on my shelves, not to mention the countless copies on VHS and DVD i have bought and watched gather dust until selling them after each new format. If i really enjoy a movie i go buy it.

Deihmos

I actually prefer amazon prime. It is cheaper and has more benefits such as free 2 day shipping on amazon orders. Netflix is really cheap. Many people are cutting their cable bill and substituting it with Netflix.

Edited by Deihmos

I wouldn't wait, I think it will be highly unlikely that the Australian release of Netflix will be cheaper than the US subscription plus the UnblockUs account.

If I have any problems with MB or my unRAID server it is a great backup, there is a ridiculously large amount of content and they have some great original content: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix

The quality is governed by the download speed of your internet connection which is going to be crap compared to what the US gets. You can manually override it by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S while in the player.

Brendon

@@Deihmos i am down under mate and unfortunately there are a huge amount of those services that don't work here without proxies and the like, NetFlix took my interest as it looks like they may open up to us this year, they are cheaper then Cable TV and have a far better selection then the BigPond Movie junk we have here.

Brendon

@@cylon my net is fine mate, what the NBN are rolling out i have had for 10yrs through a company here in Vic called Neighbourhood Cable, only available in Mildura, Geelong and Ballarat though. NBN is changing that if the politicians get their noses out lol

@@Brendon well in that case you should sign up for a trial, UnblockUs also offer a trial. The Windows 8 app is pretty sweet, very similar to MBT.

I feel like we have delved into the dark ages with the Abbott government and don't hold much hope for the NBN.

Edited by cylon

Koleckai Silvestri

@ the off-site streaming interests me, at the moment i download everything (100M/10M cable connection but we are capped in Oz, i have 500GB peak and another 500GB off-peak), being a former .torrent site coder i have access to some sites most don't even know exist, so everything is downloaded and sent to the server (currently holding about 1600 movies and over 9000 tv episodes).

At the moment that 500GB cops it sideways because i have 3 kids aged between 8-16, they spend every second week at their mother's, when there if they stream from the server, i am wearing the up and their mother the down, on top of that if i open uTorrent without checking if they are connected they grind to a halt. So what you describe would give them plenty to watch without the drain on both data caps.

Here in the states we currently have three streaming plans available. 1 screen for $6.99, 2 screens for $7.99 and 4 screens for $11.99. Substitute screen for stream and that is how many devices you can stream on simultaneously. Once you log into a device you can use it on any network. I would suspect my daughter would use it at her mother's house but they are on Microwave DSL there with speeds of about 600 kbps. They are about 300 feet from the end of where cable internet is provided. Cost them about $5,000 to have it it installed. I suspect the connection in her dorm room in Camarillo, California is much better.

Streaming from Netflix isn't going to use your allotted bandwidth. We do about 400 GB a month in my house currently. Though I am sure some more hardcore people will use more. Netflix is shooting lower bits per second to make it profitable for them and HD is considered 720p. We generally stream through the Roku or onto individual PCs and our picture isn't bad and haven't had any complaints. 

Brendon

thanks for all the info everyone

@@cylon have you tried Getflix mate only AUD$2.45 a month for life if you add a like on facebook and users on whirlpool rate it highly, also they are an australian business which wins me over every time.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Just to add my 2pence worth. I think Netflix is either great or ok, it depends where you live and the content available, if you are in the US & Canada then its great, here in the UK, it's simply OK, but at £5.99 a month, it doesn't kill the bank.

I have an internet proxy server account also which i can select for most countries in the world, so generally have it going thru the US to get their rich and very upto date content.

thanks for all the info everyone

@@cylon have you tried Getflix mate only AUD$2.45 a month for life if you add a like on facebook and users on whirlpool rate it highly, also they are an australian business which wins me over every time.

Sweet, thanks, I'll check it out.

Allan Cameron

Depends if you are like me and have seen just about everything under the sun already. Netflix is definitely a great price especially for somebody who has not seen a lot of the common TV shows and movies. I still subscribe and probably always will just because it's handy to have. But I find myself most of the time searching for something I have not seen and it's usually something along the lines of a low-budget movie or TV series that's uncommon. There are a lot of good documentaries as well but I'm getting to the point where I have cleaned That out too.

Bottom line Netflix offers a better value to somebody who has a lot to catch up on as far as common TV shows and movies go.

But if you have seen most of the common stuff the value is still there but you probably will spend less time using the service as I do.

But hey it's 8 bucks a month so it's justified either way in my opinion :)

Marc_G

I much prefer to rent the Blurays (or DVD if that's all they have), because such a small percentage of the Netflix library is available for streaming. Also, even their best streams aren't as good as a well-mastered bluray, and most HD streams appear to look somewhere better than DVD but notably worse than bluray (on my 1080p 60" plasma).

Marc

bruce73

I agree with Marc about picture quality, although those shot with hidef video look very good (based on my 67" Samsung). I have both Amazon and Netflix; each had its own strengths. Amazon, with its discounted shopping (I order a lot for myself and family), and Netflix with its ability to filter items based on one's viewing habits (I've discovered some wonderful British series I otherwise would've overlooked). And Netflix is a monthly subscription, so you can cancel any time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk