Folder Depth Question

Lighthammer

Happy2Play

Looking your posts again, in the end this will not work for what you want as collection entry points.  As my example for Reality, it will display the series by not the entry into collection "Reality".  Only way to show each collection entry point is Folder view/changing View Style.  Or making each collection a Library.

Post 15 gives a specific example with Star Trek as a collection folder from the wiki.  Or your in post 5, go into metadata manager and change "Marvel Collection" to content type "TV". 

So you have your Library folder as TV Shows - Animation and any nested folder you create you change in the Metadata manager to content type "TV".

574507b8802e8_nested.jpg

View Style unchecked

57450f1436027_ViewStyleunchecked.jpg

View Style checked

57450f36262ab_Viewstylechecked.jpg

Lighthammer

Thanks happy to play, the problem was I wasn't seeing that tab change. I had to fiddle around with the server and make sure it was properly updated.

I'm gonna have to play with a bit, but might end up having more questions or thoughts.

Thanks for sticking with me

Deathsquirrel

Before you invest a bunch of time on this, collections can be done in the filesystem but not all functions of collections are going to work with all clients when implemented this way.  It is strongly recommended that you manage collections through the UI instead.  You'll have far fewer issues.

• Like 1

Lighthammer

Before you invest a bunch of time on this, collections can be done in the filesystem but not all functions of collections are going to work with all clients when implemented this way.  It is strongly recommended that you manage collections through the UI instead.  You'll have far fewer issues.

What remains the most optimal solution is some naming convention upgrades, but I recognize one of the biggest problems in that is there is no standard for TV Collections currently.

Lighthammer

That being said, there's a ton of use cases for what I am trying to accomplish:

- Easier portability of like media

- Easier transfer of like media from one location to another

- Easier auditing of series and episodes

- Easier to backup in chunks of related media

- Easier to move like media around if you find space problems

- Easier to find what your looking for to setup sync services

The list goes on and on.

Deathsquirrel

That being said, there's a ton of use cases for what I am trying to accomplish:

- Easier portability of like media

- Easier transfer of like media from one location to another

- Easier auditing of series and episodes

- Easier to backup in chunks of related media

- Easier to move like media around if you find space problems

- Easier to find what your looking for to setup sync services

The list goes on and on.

I see no value in this change in any of those areas but if you want to propose some changes to folder stricture support for TV it's worth posting in the feature request forum.

Lighthammer

I see no value in this change in any of those areas but if you want to propose some changes to folder stricture support for TV it's worth posting in the feature request forum.

How so? These are pretty objectively good benefits.

Deathsquirrel

How so? These are pretty objectively good benefits.

I disagree that unnecessarily complex folder structures in the OS filesystem are a good thing or that this would save time at all if implemented.  These things are better handled through the Emby app.  I want as little administration overhead outside Emby as possible.

Of course none of that is my call so post a FR if you like.  Adding support for another organization scheme would make the developer's life harder but doesn't hurt ME in the least :)

dcook

I agree, its completely stupid to build complex file structure on the OS, when you can just setup collection in Emby, once you have copied the movie/tv show in question into your Emby folder there is no need to even look at the file/folder again as Emby will do everything else automatically.

I disagree that unnecessarily complex folder structures in the OS filesystem are a good thing or that this would save time at all if implemented.  These things are better handled through the Emby app.  I want as little administration overhead outside Emby as possible.

Of course none of that is my call so post a FR if you like.  Adding support for another organization scheme would make the developer's life harder but doesn't hurt ME in the least :)