Hey guys I'll give you a run down on my setup first

Server:
Processor: Intel i3-2100

Ram: 8GB

Graphics Card: None
HDD Space: 7 Drives equaling 20TB

Receivers:

At Home

4K Sony Television running Android TV (Ethernet Connected)

Nexu Player (Wireless Connected)

2x Xbox One (Wireless Connected)

Parents House
Nexus Player (Wireless Connected)

The trouble I'm having is that if I'm watching a television show on the Sony and my parents start watching a show the CPU peaks at 100%, I understand this is because of the transcoding so I'm interested in upgrading my CPU (which means Motherboard and RAM as well) but wondering is there a particular range of CPU's that are not only great at Transcoding but also 4K playback (save me trying to make room for a graphics card). This Server doesn't play games,only games it may play is if I decide to use Emby Theater with GameBrowser3 connected via HDMI directly to the TV as the server lives in the server room directly behind the TV.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pr3dict

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm looking to upgrade my processor also. I'm about to pull the trigger on a http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SL7-F.cfm and will need a new CPU to go with it. So far I've been looking at the E3 v3's and E3 V4's. If I go with either I also have the option of adding a GTX970 in the server...

Server will be running a bunch of VM's one of them being Emby. 

Any ideas? It seems people are not so happy with the V4's but it does have quicksync capability and is marketed as a better alternative for video transcoding.

jscoys

What I saw with cpu load in transcoding phases is that it will always peak at 100% because it seems that's the way FFMPEG works... It goes 100% and stay there for a certain time (depending on your CPU power) and when it determines it took enough advanced regarding your current playback position it decreases dramatically at 15-20%... So if you use a super CPU from NASA it will peak at 100% anyway, but stay there less time.

Intel Quick Sync seems to be a great technology. So if your current cpu doesn't have that maybe try to find one which integrate it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by jscoys

pr3dict

CPUs are a point of budget, from a few hundred bucks to several thousands. My server has an Intel I7 990x which is overclocked.

If you are looking for a new now I'd go with Skylake or later, Which has built in HEVC support. 

Care to explain?

I am looking at this right now.

$200 - Used Supermicro X10SL7-F with LSI 2308 onboard for 14 direct SAS/SATA ports

And a E3 V3 cpu to go along for my new storage server/ emby server/ every other VM I n eed to throw on it haha...

You suggest I go with an E3 v5 skylake architecture? Do you have a motherboard that would work well with that?

pr3dict

Cpu motherboard combo is looking to be around 600 right now so I mean that looks to be around my budget... I don't think I need hardware decoding of HEVC on the server though unless I'm transcoding that type of material to someting. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the HEVC decoder on the client so that it can direct play the client?

pr3dict

So knowing the price point of the v3 haswell stuff do you suggest spending the little extra money and going v5 skylake?

Also, the v3 haswell stuff I've seen doesnt support quicksync (the motherboards that is) ... Would a 700 series geforce do well in terms of hardware decoding? I havent seen much details on if Nvidia is better then Intel in the hardware decoding battlefield