MB Classic won't play movice

Van
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

MBClassic-112014dde1719a60db47d5ad755cd9bc0ed86b.log

I've setup Media Browser Classic (version 3.0.100.0 B12-4.1) with server 3.0.5105.17830 and I see all the movie and metadata but when clicking play nothing happens.  I see in the log a warning "2014-01-01 08:50:44.7955,Warning,,Unable to directly access F:\Movies2\The Adventures of Tintin (2011)"  Attempting to stream.,1,Application" where the movie is located on the F: drive of the server.  I have shared the folders on the server (Win 8.1 Pro) and given access to a generic account - HTPC.  Access is from two Windows 7 Premium PCs each with a different local account with saved credentials to the generic account on the server.  An instance of MBC classic on the server works fine.

Is there some share security I should set or a firewall issue on the server?

Thanks.

• Solution

you setup your library using F:, a local path on the server. the client computer is unable to access that. for our clients that would be ok because they can stream through the server but mbc can't do that. so you need to setup network shares so instead of F: it would be \\myserver\moviesshare

• Like 1

Thank you! Worked like a charm.

Windows 8.1 led me down the path of Media Browser 3 and I'm glad I started the journey.  Great job to you and the team.

Can you tell us how we can word the message you saw better so that you could have figured it out?

Thanks Luke,

I think this is a clear case of the user, me, not reading the server setup guide carefully and using UNC naming for the libraries on the server.  Feeling over confident I forged ahead with the install.  Reading about posting problems led me to learn about the logs and look there.  The message in the log gave me the information to appreciate I had some sort of access issue.  I assumed that it was related to security and credentials used to access the share.  I'm familiar with .NET development and that was enough information for me.  I'm not sure how you could improve the message in the log for a novice user.  Your support is outstanding and the turnaround remarkable.

I did find the log interesting reading and it intrigued me you use the SQL Lite libraries and don't require a complex installation with SQL Server Express like some other media browsers.  I would be interested in learning more about your architecture as I'm working to expand a Common Services Framework layer at work abstracting the communication between external clients and internal resources.  Other than a "deep dive" in the code is there something available to look at?

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Luke,

I think this is a clear case of the user, me, not reading the server setup guide carefully and using UNC naming for the libraries on the server.  Feeling over confident I forged ahead with the install.  Reading about posting problems led me to learn about the logs and look there.  The message in the log gave me the information to appreciate I had some sort of access issue.  I assumed that it was related to security and credentials used to access the share.  I'm familiar with .NET development and that was enough information for me.  I'm not sure how you could improve the message in the log for a novice user.  Your support is outstanding and the turnaround remarkable.

I did find the log interesting reading and it intrigued me you use the SQL Lite libraries and don't require a complex installation with SQL Server Express like some other media browsers.  I would be interested in learning more about your architecture as I'm working to expand a Common Services Framework layer at work abstracting the communication between external clients and internal resources.  Other than a "deep dive" in the code is there something available to look at?

Thanks again for your help.

I would check out the github wiki. There isn't a whole lot of architecture docs, but you can learn about it a bit by reading about the api and server plugin development.