Photo

Videos that transcode play goofy (sometimes...)

roku goofy transcode

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 tobias-tobin OFFLINE  

tobias-tobin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Local time: 03:32 PM
  • LocationGreenwood, IN

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay in my response.  Yes, it is transcoded video she is watching.  She is at her house, use a Roku, my server is transcoding for her. 

I'm really suspicious this was/is a network issue for her.  She has the lowest tier plan from her ISP.  Plus she is on wireless with the Roku.  Maybe one of her kids was doing something on the web at the same time.  I don't know.  But I have a feeling she is probably really low bandwidth.  I'm trying to keep the communication flow going but surprisingly the people that have the problems often don't want to work with me to fix it.  So I will just let it go until she calls my wife again and complains.  At that point, I'm going to have her back down her bitrate.

I also tried to get a speedtest off her droid standing near the Roku so I could get some idea of what her down is like.  She didn't do it. 

I'm leaning towards this because 1) she watched it before with no problem 2) other people connecting to my mb3 with rokus are not complaining.

So we will see.

And I think I mentioned this before but hopefully my server is not to blame.  It is i7-4770, 16GB ram, OS and apps are on SATA3 SSD, my ISP connection is top tier (105Mbps/22Mbps).  Everything LAN is gigabit.  Slowest component is the Drobo 5N (as far as R/W speeds), where everything is stored, yet it still should be plenty fast enough for all of this.

I'll post back if I collect any more definitive info to go on, or I am able to conduct some tests myself.

#42 gcw07 OFFLINE  

gcw07

Roku Master

• Members
  • 2505 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Just let us know if you get some more information. It could have easily just been network congestion at the time. Really not sure.

#43 tobias-tobin OFFLINE  

tobias-tobin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationGreenwood, IN

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Will do.  Most helpful thing would be for these people to communicate better with me and listen to what I tell them :).  Thanks!  tobias.

#44 opsTranscode OFFLINE  

opsTranscode

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 09:32 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I've encountered this issue as well. @Tikuf or others, not sure if you can help with this but it would be much appreciated. I saw the video posted by @speechles and it's the exact same issue I'm seeing. Multi-colored screen and a smear in the left. It seems as though it happens when there are many dark frames, but it's hard to say. I've seen it with a few videos that used to play fine. Highest bitrates are ~3mbps. We're transcoding many renditions and creating an HLS, sometimes we see this issue with only one rendition, sometimes all. Any thoughts? What information can I provide to help with this?

Thank you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roku, goofy, transcode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users