Direct Stream Not Working & Transcoding above 480p

dukejames

dukejames

Hello,

Emby Version 3.0.5934.0 is installed on a Ubuntu system with Samba and Path Substitutions configured. For some reason when playing a video through Chrome, it always Transcodes. I don't understand why. Transcoding also doesn't allow for higher than 480p 4 Mbps.

Why am I now having these issues? Please find a log attached.

emby_Log.txt

Yes it is and I apologize that we haven't filled in that page yet, although in the case of the web client, it's just a matter of what each individual browser supports.

To answer this question for the video you posted, there is currently no browser that supports mpeg2video, no browser that supports dvdsub format subtitles, and only Microsoft Edge supports AC3. So based on what browser you're using, that should give you an idea of what requires converting.

dukejames

I understand. Why are the trans-coding options so low? Hardware Acceleration and Thread Count are set as "Auto". The documentation says that there are a variety of factors and configurations settings to determine the playback experience.

it's limited by the source material, in this case a 480p video. we don't do any upscaling at this time.

dukejames

That's what I find odd. I'm expecting 16:9 at 720p. It's a VOB file being trans-coded.

Please see the screenshot of the Codec screen from VLC player attached.

The video plays at greater quality through VLC. Other VOB titles seem to trans-code fine as well. Could Emby have identified the Media Info incorrectly, and then trans-code at lower quality?

post-123010-0-65429300-1463540720_thumb.png

Looks like the transcoding log explains it. The source is 720*480 (480p). When we transcode we're not specifying an output resolution, which typically results in ffmpeg ouptutting the same resolution as the input.

However, looking at the log, it says it is outputting as

Output #0, matroska, to '/var/lib/emby-server/transcoding-temp/bedf2c706fcd6c136a6292e1cc3777ce.mkv':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf57.25.100
    Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (libx264) (H264 / 0x34363248), yuv420p, 426x318 [SAR 212:213 DAR 4:3], q=-1--1, 100 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 1k tbn, 29.97 tbc

I'm not sure why it's outputting at 426*318, possibly due to being anamorphic. Since this is a folder rip structure, keep in mind that we consider all transcoding of these to be experimental. They are not officially supported by ffmpeg, therefore we can't call them fully supported either.

I'm sorry, this is my mistake. we are actually specifying a resolution - a max width of 426. let me look at why it might be doing that.

Ok, I see why. the ffmpeg media probe detected a source bitrate of 97kbps, which is obviously wrong, but unfortunately that's just our reality as they don't support folder rips. So then what happens during transcoding is we look at that really low value and we try to be smart and limit the output resolution to something that is appropriate for 97kbps.

Unfortunately outside of modifying the database there is currently no way to do that.