FlexRAID advance question

Airbender

Airbender

And also how much you want to spend as an upgrade ? That will help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airbender

FYI : all the links I provided you have both info , the case , hardware and external system vs internal system and setting up raid f or raid t

Airbender

At least glance at all links pls so you have an idea and give me a number and few pics of your case so I or others can advise u

Yes, I've had a quick look at a few of them. There's a lot of reading there! Lol. I don't have time to dive right into those threads right now, but will certainly make time to go over them.

I can't send any pics or info about my case right now, but I will as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks for all the help so far. Hopefully I'll be able to have something set up in the near future. I'm afraid of all the work involved if one of my drives goes down with no protection, so I want to get something set up ASAP! Also, CrashPlan looks interesting, but that seems like a lot of bandwidth usage, as I currently have 8TB+ of data that isn't backed up, and that is also a lot of bandwidth to restore from. I also read on their site they have a "Delivered to door recovery service" that sounds interesting.

Airbender

Read the link on crush plan which I give you , and to be honest we all can help you just don't be affried ok, take your time and you will get there if you motivated

Due to limited funds right now I was thinking for the time being it might be suitable for me to just set up an old computer I have, and use CrashPlan's free software to backup my media folders to it. This computer would basically just be an appliance, so the only time the hard drives should spin up would be when adding new data to it. So in short, I'd be mirroring my HTPC's hard drives to a backup server using CrashPlan's software. Does this seem like a very reliable method to use for the time being?

I still want to eventually build a proper server running FlexRaid, but don't have the funds to get into that right now. So this seems like my cheapest route.

I started the free trial on CrashPlan's online backup, but my upload speeds are far too slow here (I live in a rural area where ISP's are very limited). So their online backup is not feasible for me. (3.5 years left on my 8TB backup haha).

Also, what are the odds of a hard drive failure on a backup server such as this where there will only be write activity from CrashPlan sending files from my HTPC, with no read happening?

Thanks,

Patrick

Edited by pmac

Airbender

Hello @@pmac

"" Due to limited funds right now I was thinking for the time being it might be suitable for me to just set up an old computer I have, and use CrashPlan's free software to backup my media folders to it. This computer would basically just be an appliance, so the only time the hard drives should spin up would be when adding new data to it. So in short, I'd be mirroring my HTPC's hard drives to a backup server using CrashPlan's software. Does this seem like a very reliable method to use for the time being?"""

Correct and it is FREE for that option and few of my friends doing it now

"I still want to eventually build a proper server running FlexRaid, but don't have the funds to get into that right now. So this seems like my cheapest route."

Take your time bro , it took over year to get where i am so dont be in rush and plan a head now you have all resources that i provided to you over 11 links of different posts

"Also, what are the odds of a hard drive failure on a backup server such as this where there will only be write activity from CrashPlan sending files from my HTPC, with no read happening?"

Everything is possible in the world of computers bro i seen brand new computers diead and brand new drives having issue , there is no more quality control thanks to china :) lol

Good luck

Would something like THIS work for running FlexRaid, hooked up to my HTPC via USB 3.0? Seems like a fairly inexpensive way of doing things if it were possible... Otherwise, I'm thinking about getting something like this for backup storage anyway, this way I can just have it hooked directly to my HTPC, and have CrashPlan mirror my files to it, instead of having a separate backup server running.

Airbender

Would something like THIS work for running FlexRaid, hooked up to my HTPC via USB 3.0? Seems like a fairly inexpensive way of doing things if it were possible... Otherwise, I'm thinking about getting something like this for backup storage anyway, this way I can just have it hooked directly to my HTPC, and have CrashPlan mirror my files to it, instead of having a separate backup server running.

Hi did you look at my system video i have 2 Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 3.5" Black USB3.0 & eSATA ProBox 4 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure i got each for 85 bucks from newegg and i got SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2E PCI-Express x1 SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Controller Card , please note this is only one that will actually work with mediasonic

I really feel like you did not even looked at youtube videos that i provided you nor looked at any of the links but you like this community to help you with your setup.

Please note: every questions you have in mind or will have in mind in the future has been coverd in deatils step by step + mistake and how i fix them is in that 11 links and my videos.

Now it is time for you to actually set down read and then do the work no one will be able to help you with that , we all can only help you when you run into bumps

Now going back to the only reason i got mediasonic 4 bay and not 8 bay is because 4 bay was on sale for 85 and card was 15 bucks so chiper then 400 USD

but i am supper happy with it and just remember to disable the scync option wich is covered also in AVS forum link i give you ... again any issue with will run to is covered

Good luck

@@Airbender, yes I did watch some of your YouTube videos, thanks. I haven't watched all of them, but I'm also quite a ways off from setting up FlexRaid right now anyways.

I have seen your system video's, and the only H82-SU3S2 that I can find on a Canadian site is the 8-Bay unit which is almost $400, I've decided that I'm not willing to spend that much, so I've been looking at a Sans Digital 4-Bay enclosure I can get for $150.

I still haven't read over all of the links you sent me. It's only been a few days, and there's a few weeks worth of reading there. (Sorting though all those pages to get to the pertinent information can be very time consuming).

As I've said before, I've decided that I don't have the funds right now to set up a proper FlexRaid server like I would prefer to, so I'm going to find an inexpensive HDD enclosure that I can just run off my main HTPC to mirror the external drives I'm currently using. I can get the Sans Digital 4-Bay enclosure and 4x 3TB WD Green's for $524 CAD, which seems reasonable to me. And I've had good luck with those drives so far, as they are the same ones that are used in my external drives. Also, I like the fact they power down when not in use, since they will only be used for backup, they shouldn't need to spin up very often at all.

I will continue to research different methods of setting up a FlexRaid (or similar) system, and continue reading the links you gave me. I certainly appreciate how willing you've been to help me with this @@Airbender.

Airbender

Just don't be in rush that all I am saying take your time and progress will happen on it own

Yeah, I'm not gonna rush into a FlexRaid system anymore, I'm gonna hold off on that. But I do need to get a backup system running ASAP, since some of my drives have been running for years with no backup, it's only a matter of time before I lose one.

Airbender

Hello

Thanks to SilentAssassin and his help on this post http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/4772-folder-redirection-without-ad-or-group-policy/

i was able to redirect my Laptop user data to my server which is part of t-Raid so now if anything happend to my laptop i will be able to recover data on fly

and Crush plan backup is also connected and running so it is double backup :)

Thanks