server administration: limit active users

horstepipe

horstepipe

hey

because of bandwidth or hardware performance limitations it would be a good administration feature to limit and prioritize active watching users.

E.g.

max users: 3

user A: priority 1

user B: priority 2

user C: priority 3

user D: priority 4

When all users watch simultaneously, user A gets kicked and (optionally) gets a notification via pushbullet (or email or whatever notification service is set up) about what happened.

The feature could be extended by time limits:

User A watches a video with a remaining time x. When x is smaller than a predefined value, user A may finish the video and user D gets notified about it.

Regards

Edited by horstepipe
  • Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

When all users watch simultaneously, user A gets kicked...

Wouldn't D get kicked since they are the lowest priority? Why kick the person with the highest priority? Or is that a typo?

horstepipe

I thought the higher value has the higher priority, this way it works in my router. But this is only a question of definition and can be handled however you want :-)

Koleckai Silvestri

Just asking for clarification. My system is limited to 6 users anyway. After that, there is no one left to log in and I don't allow guests from outside the LAN.

horstepipe

Yeah I'm having only 4 users (family), too. But they all access the server outside the LAN.

Because the server runs on a quite weak Synology, transcoding is not possible here.

what you can do for now is take transcoding access away from certain users, if that would be acceptable.

horstepipe

I have to disable it for all users, because the NAS hasn't enough power for even one job.
But my upstream allows smooth direct play to 3 users, only when a fourth comes up it starts stuttering on all devices.

Edited by horstepipe

• 2 years later...
marauder

I was just going to create a post for something similar to this. To have a user priority system, so if there aren't enough resources, like bandwidth or CPU the user with the higher priority gets preference.