HDHomerun Prime DVR - Schedules Direct - DRM Plans?

Mozy

Mozy

Hello Emby Users!

I am new to the HDHomerun sceen, and am looking for a little info on Emby DRM Live TV/Recordings. 

Quick background: We have been using WMC 8.1 with a Ceton ETH6 CableCARD tuner over the last few years. With M$ killing WMC off we have been looking into other options, and I picked up a HDHR Prime and also bought into the HDHR DVR beta/kickstarter project.

Enter Emby's Live TV! I have successfully paired Emby with my HDHR, and Schedules Direct and we really like the traditional EPG, channel lineup, and recordings setup that Emby presents!! All OTA recordings seem to be working just fine. 

While I do get all the channels in the HDHR View application on all my devices, I am not getting my full lineup in Emby, I assume due to Time Warner Cable putting DRM flags on most of the channels now? 

Am I doing something wrong to prohibit Emby from pulling in my full lineup?

If not, can someone tell me if there is a plan to implement DRM channels for recording down the road? Once/if the HDHR DVR project makes DRM channels available for recording will Emby be able to do the same, like record Game of Thrones?

Long live Emby!!

Edited by Mozy

Hi, welcome. We are currently filtering out DRM channels because there's no use presenting them if you can't play. We just end up with users reporting over and over that they don't work. As far as supporting them in the future, nothing is decided so it just depends on user demand for it.

Mozy

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply!

Is there a build to see if the DRM channels will work on my system? The app HDHomerun View from Silicon Dust is giving us all our channels, and we would love to use Emby as a one-stop-shop if this is possible?

• 1 month later...
Wonkman1

How do we show there is demand for DRM channels?  I know I can't be the only one who would like to see this.

• 1 month later...
asnguy01

I'm interested in getting DRM features too. Emby would be my one stop shop for media need if I can use it to watch all my channels using the HDHomerun Prime.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

I'd like to bump this topic to see if there is any demand for drm channels. I would love to see them if possible

It would complete the channel lineup, and stop us from having to use HDHR View to watch them

• 4 months later...
tvinhas

@@Luke if the channel content is presented on the HDHR View, why wouldn't it work on Emby?

I'm considering going back to cable and buying a HDHR w/ Cablecard so I can record my shows from AMC, USA and FX without all the trouble thru PlayOn. I'm using Brighthouse (now Spectrum) in Central Florida. Will it work with Emby?

mastrmind11

@@Luke if the channel content is presented on the HDHR View, why wouldn't it work on Emby?

I'm considering going back to cable and buying a HDHR w/ Cablecard so I can record my shows from AMC, USA and FX without all the trouble thru PlayOn. I'm using Brighthouse (now Spectrum) in Central Florida. Will it work with Emby?

I have the Prime w/ a cable card and I am able to record whatever I want.  Granted, I'm on Fios, but they encrypt non-local content too.

Edited by mastrmind11

• 1 month later...

I have the Prime w/ a cable card and I am able to record whatever I want. Granted, I'm on Fios, but they encrypt non-local content too.

I'm on Spectrum Dallas/Ft Worth area. I too have a cable card tuner (ceton) and cable card through subscription. But the other thing that they (spectrum) have is the Spectrum TV app for smart phones, tablets, streamers and game consoles which sends their TV stream out over IP. Since Emby can also do IPTV is there a way to integrate the IP stream of paid tv subscribers into the Emby interface?

I've investigated the IPTV m3u playlist method and don't think that will work.

If anyone has more info about how maybe to do this please share.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
tdiguy

As far as i have seen when it comes to DRM the only thing that can view DRM locked channels is basically microsoft based devices.

For example in my home i have a subscription to hbo from my cable co ( comcast / xfinity ) I use emby ( which is awesome! on my pi3 ) and i have a hd homerun prime. I also have a amazon fire tv, a fire tablet, a ipad 2 droid phones and my windows 10 laptop.

There is a hdhr app on my fire tv, the droid phone and my win10 machine.

The only device of all these that i can watch hbo on through the hdhr is the win10 machine. On every other device through the hdhr app i can see the channel and switch to hbo but i get a screen saying it cant display the channel.

If emby could support DRM it would be awesome, but i have no idea how difficult it would be given how long DRM has been around and that i have never seen anything linux or open source play nice with DRM.

• 2 weeks later...
jasonmcroy

Just an FYI, I was on Spectrum Brighthouse in Western Florida (Tampa) and the only channels they apply the DRM flag to are your paid channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.

AMC, USA and FX didn't have the DRM flags and so will work just fine through Emby. When I was paying for their cable service I was using my HDHomerun Prime with a cable card and recording on all those channels just fine. I have since cancelled the cable service and use an antenna with a connect and extend device for my local channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and the CW) and signed up for Playstation Vue to get all the other channels and use their DVR service.

The problem with DRM flagging and DVR software is how expensive it is for companies to get approval to un-encrypt the DRM flags. SiliconDust has been working on this for over 2 years now. They finally have the ability to view DRM via their App on Windows 10, but not Android.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

You should live us the option o load DRM channels.

For example I have a crypto card and subscription from Comcast and I can't use them to watch my DTM channels.

mastrmind11

Hi Guys,

You should live us the option o load DRM channels.

For example I have a crypto card and subscription from Comcast and I can't use them to watch my DTM channels.

See the post directly above yours...

• 3 months later...

I would like to see drm content, but i dont hold out any hopes of seeing it on emby. So far the only platform i have seen it supported on is microsoft. I imagine that supporting it on emby would be complicated.

Unless programming is greatly different i dont think any of those channels are DRM. The easy way to tell is to go into the hdhr and look through the channels right on that, they are often labeled DRM  next to them. Typically its channels like hbo, or showtime that are drm locked. From what my limited understand of drm is its that to watch drm locked content drm has to be supported on every device along the way so its not as easy as with literally every other channel. If you want to watch something locked down with DRM essentially you need a microsoft product to view it at least so far. 

I use a hdhr prime myself and i have the hdhr app on my fire tv, cant watch drm channels on that despite it being supported by hdhr i guess its either not supported by amazon or by the hdhr app for amazon.