where should i go to next..

Sorahl

Sorahl

HI folks... I am looking for advice on where I should turn next.

I've been a happy WMC user for over a decade. I have used Mediabrowser since I discovered it, and incorporated it in my WMC.

I've recently built a new pc, slapped win8.1 with WMC, my Ceton Infinitv4 card and Emby... loving life... tv wise :)

however in the last week I've developed an issue I can NOT fix, or figure out.

Random program recordings are failing claiming Restrictions set by the broadcaster and/or originator of the content prohibit recording of this program.

I know this to not be true. there is no rhyme or reason to what programs it happens to. Adam 12.... Blindspot... anything.

I fixed it for a week by doing a system restore... however I had to do another one yesterday and I'm getting the error again today

I have to either fix this issue or move to a new way of recording tv from FIOS via my Ceton card

advice?  either on how to fix this... or what to move to?

Cheers,

John

legallink

I don't think Emby live tv supports the ceton card. I use the Hd home runs and they work fairly well now with Emby live tv. Are you sure it isn't a bug in your WMC setup? I know there were some hoops to jump through when I did it. Can you watch live tv?

Logos302

don't have one my self but I do remember incorrectly configured or too many codec packs can sometimes cause issues with this.  As a last resort you could try and format and re-install.  

Sorahl

yes I can watch live tv. I can watch the programs the system says it can't record... I thought maybe the bug was introduced in a recent win 8.1 update but I can't find it. ofcourse there is no support for it any more. Its not an Emby issue... I just don't know where else to go to where there are folks who do what I do :)

looking at NextPVR right now.. sigh
John

epayson85

Ceton cards are crap... No offense lol and I am on my second lol so I am speaking from experience. My homerun prime is WAY more reliable but love the extra tuners I get with my infinitv6 (I use to own the 4 that was even worse). Enough of crapping on ceton though.

I will tell you that card is very sensitive. Dlna servers use to make it crash all the time and you basically had to be careful with just about anything you installed. I never had luck with Windows 8 so I have stuck with Windows 7. I also don't allow Windows updates. Now that can cause other things eventually to break BUT they were easier to fix than ceton lol. So my ceton works pretty flawlessly besides needing the occasional reboot when tuners can't be found but that's pretty rare now. I do agree with you though, sounds like it's a Windows 8 update as your restore allowed it to work for a short time. Windows updates break WMC functionality all the time which is why I stopped them.

• Like 1

Sorahl

I had a lot of issues installing windows when I built this new pc.  I think its worth going through it again tho so I can get it back to where it was..

thanks..

d00zah

@Sorahl, I believe this TGB thread will explain your issue. This is the last FW release Ceton provided &, as with most beta releases, it has bugs but specifically addresses the Copy Protected channels issues.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=8352

The problem is discussed in the referenced thread, et al, at length. Minor bugs I'm aware of:

- Memory leak which leads to a forced lock-up/reboot in ~ a month. Manual reboot on a regular schedule will mitigate this problem.

- Fix for (some?) cable card deadlocks. Manifests as a loss of channels for a minute while cable card reboots. Minor inconvenience. Some don't see this.

- Ceton tuner reboot when accessing diag page in web UI.

These quirks are far less annoying than the random CGMS-A protected channels, & with Ceton tuners, it's the only game in town. They haven't had much of a public presence since shortly after releasing this fix.

Note that even HDHR users occasionally encounter this issue:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=106545#p106545

Edited by d00zah
  • Like 1

Sorahl

well its been an interesting time dealing with this issue.

I have Verizon FIOS. the issue of the program being flagged as content protected and not recordable. appears to have come from one of those sub channels that the networks have come up with under the new digital tv rules.  it was an NBC sub channel.  and seems to have focused on Adam 12... once I got rid of that season pass... I have not had the issue since...

I went and deleted all my record episodes of that show today... and low and be hold I got that error again...

very strange.. but glad it seems to be over

john