Issue: Kodi Identifies Local Emby Trailers as Movies

MarcusJ

MarcusJ

I'm a new user, so I apologize if this issue has been solved or if I am simply missing something, however...\

I have been running kodi for some time now, but recently started running Emby. After loading all my movies into Emby, I loaded Emby for Kodi and it seemed to work pretty well.

Then, I started adding local movie trailers to my Emby database by adding the trailers into a separate "trailers" folder under each movie folder.  When I did this, Emby recognized the trailers immediately.  However, when I then ran kodi, it shows the trailers (moviename-trailer.mp4 files) as "Recently Added" movies.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a fix available?

Thank you!

MarcusJ

Thanks Spaceboy, but unfortunately, I am not a programmer, so none of that makes any sense to me.

Is this considered a bug in kodi?  in emby?  or is not considered a bug at all?  Seems like a pretty obvious problem (bug) in my mind, that should have a pretty simple programming fix (for everyone).

Thanks Spaceboy, but unfortunately, I am not a programmer, so none of that makes any sense to me.

Is this considered a bug in kodi?  in emby?  or is not considered a bug at all?  Seems like a pretty obvious problem (bug) in my mind, that should have a pretty simple programming fix (for everyone).

It's not necessarily a bug in Kodi. We (Media Browser, many years ago), came up with the trailers sub-folder convention and whether or not Kodi wants to support it is entirely up to them.

Alternatively you can use a convention that is supported by both programs which which is the trailer right next to the movie file with a -trailer suffix. So for example:

movie.mkv
movie-trailer.mp4
  • Like 1

Vidman

It's not necessarily a bug in Kodi. We (Media Browser, many years ago), came up with the trailers sub-folder convention and whether or not Kodi wants to support it is entirely up to them.

Alternatively you can use a convention that is supported by both programs which which is the trailer right next to the movie file with a -trailer suffix. So for example:

movie.mkv
movie-trailer.mp4

I can confirm this methods works with Kodi ie my local trailers are not listed in kodi

• Like 1

MarcusJ

Thank you both.

Luke, if you remember, I have about 5,000 movies, all of which are ripped from DVDs.  I started out having the trailers in the main movie folder with the same name as the movie but with the -trailer suffix, but Emby wasn't recognizing the trailers in that scenario.  You recommended that I change that method to my current method which has a separate folder for trailers under each movie folder.  It has taken me 40+ hours of manual effort to set all of that up properly.  It is all working quite well now, but it seems to have introduced this anomaly within kodi in which kodi sees the trailers as actual movies.

I did, really? Maybe I did suggest that just to get you settled, or just to try it. In general though I would always recommend the methods that are known to be cross-app compatible. Generally speaking, when our wiki lists multiple ways of doing things, the first one listed is going to be the recommended one. Sorry for any confusion.

xnappo

Thank you both.

Luke, if you remember, I have about 5,000 movies, all of which are ripped from DVDs.  I started out having the trailers in the main movie folder with the same name as the movie but with the -trailer suffix, but Emby wasn't recognizing the trailers in that scenario.  You recommended that I change that method to my current method which has a separate folder for trailers under each movie folder.  It has taken me 40+ hours of manual effort to set all of that up properly.  It is all working quite well now, but it seems to have introduced this anomaly within kodi in which kodi sees the trailers as actual movies.

The addition of the small snippet to the advancedsettings.xml @@Spaceboy recommended doesn't really seem that hard...  Though to be honest it doesn't seem like Kodi should be seeing your directories anyway.  You definitely don't have Kodi's library scraper still running right?

Edited by xnappo

MarcusJ

Luke, no need to apologize, you were trying to help me and the recommendation worked.  It was actually Ebr that recommended the "trailers" folder approach because all of my movies were rips.  You simply concurred with Ebr's recommendation (see attached)  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/33284-newbie-questions/?hl=newbie

Two Newbie questions:

1. How do I implement the Spaceboy recommendation?  Literally, how do you do it?  I'm not familiar with the "advancedsettings.xml" at all and would have no idea how to modify it.
  2. How can I find out if I have kodi's library scraper running?

Sorry for the naïve questions... 

MarcusJ

Another question unrelated to the others...

When I'm in the metadata manager and am trying to fix the metadata for movies that have been identified incorrectly...I manually go through the movie's metadata and clear (delete) all of the incorrect information including the title, all of the dates, external movie id's, overviews, genres, people...everything.  Then, I do a save.  Then I put in the correct IMDB number and the correct release year and run an "identify".  It finds the correct movie 100% of the time - so far so good.  However, the identify process does NOT seem to populate the fields that I had manually cleared.  It does put in the correct images, but it doesn't put anything into any of the data fields that I had cleared out.  This leaves me with metadata that accurately identifies the movie, but has no genres, people, overviews, etc... 

What am I doing wrong???