Fire TV or Roku 3/4?

split

dark_slayer

What? Google cast... there is an add in for WMC... don't know why you would though since typically you cast from your computer not the other way around... you know because everything is available on the PC you don't need to cast.

Private listening - BT headphones... don't even need a wire to the remote. I use to have this setup in my bedroom.

Integrated streaming service... windows 8.1 / 10 apps plus relaunch for WMC will launch any website as an app.

Hdmi-cec - you can do it but costs as much as ur nvidia remote lol u can get a much better universal remote for a lot less that will control the TV and PC.

I'm sorry man but htpc always wins, hands down. With intels SOCs / Nucs they destroy the shield. Again Emby on PC runs better and looks wayyy better. hopefully theater rolls out to everything though in the future. If Of want something that is quick and easy to setup... sure go with the shield but at their current price point I wouldn't put that on every Tv in the house. I also don't want to wait until black Friday so I can afford them.

My main point is nvidia should lower their price. What they are charging for their hardware is ridiculous when you can buy better hardware for less.

Do you have a link to the cast addon?

Nexus and fire don't do 23.976, HD audio bitstreaming, private listening, vc1 playback

BT and private listening are not the same for WAF. One is ubiquitous while the other is a workaround that flakes out

There is additional cost to add the things you mentioned to an htpc which already costs more, hence it provides less. Yet we should continue to complain about the msrp of the shield (which isn't what it sells for anyway), lol. Android TV is good times for anyone not drinking haterade. Provider apps demoing, drm recording potential, drm live playback exists

epayson85

Lol from recording potential... let me know when the hd homerun gets their with its crazy excuse of a "tvguide". Not to mention what they are going to charge for it, also that will apply to the Nexus as well it's not just the shield that will get it.

And again it is what it costs if you want it with that crappy remote that has the silent listening. It's a $50 remote. Unless you wait for some imaginary black Friday sale. So are we using the $50 remote or are we using CEC? You keep changing your mind. Also how is BT and quiet listening not the same. You set the headphones as the default audio device. Now anytime you connect the headphones it takes over. You disconnect and it goes back to the HDMI. It's very simple and the headphones stay paired to the PC. And flakes out?!?!? Weird that BT headphones and speakers are sold every where they must all be flaking out.

I don't need hd audio streaming on a $90 device I put on a 23" Tv in my kitchen or even a 40" Tv in my bedroom with no sound system. The best interface with the best Tv guide experience is on my PC on the main TV with my sound system. Which can handle any codec and any future codec I might add... good luck with the shield on that.

I'm not a hater, Im sure it's a great device, the question is why? Why spend that much when for the same money you can get a far better product with a far better experience. WAF? Lol WMC blows anything else away when it comes to WAF let me know when the shield gets that. PS. WMC already has drm recording.

dark_slayer

Lol from recording potential... let me know when the hd homerun gets their with its crazy excuse of a "tvguide". Not to mention what they are going to charge for it, also that will apply to the Nexus as well it's not just the shield that will get it.

And again it is what it costs if you want it with that crappy remote that has the silent listening. It's a $50 remote. Unless you wait for some imaginary black Friday sale. So are we using the $50 remote or are we using CEC? You keep changing your mind. Also how is BT and quiet listening not the same. You set the headphones as the default audio device. Now anytime you connect the headphones it takes over. You disconnect and it goes back to the HDMI. It's very simple and the headphones stay paired to the PC. And flakes out?!?!? Weird that BT headphones and speakers are sold every where they must all be flaking out.

I don't need hd audio streaming on a $90 device I put on a 23" Tv in my kitchen or even a 40" Tv in my bedroom with no sound system. The best interface with the best Tv guide experience is on my PC on the main TV with my sound system. Which can handle any codec and any future codec I might add... good luck with the shield on that.

I'm not a hater, Im sure it's a great device, the question is why? Why spend that much when for the same money you can get a far better product with a far better experience. WAF? Lol WMC blows anything else away when it comes to WAF let me know when the shield gets that. PS. WMC already has drm recording.

The combination of the shield's HDMI-CEC and the shield remote (which is free right now, and has been for a while) turns your TV on from sleep in unison with the shield. This can all be done with a much higher price harmony remote as well. Or can be done with the TV manufacturer remote, though you miss out on private listening with the others. Also, the remote is wifi direct and rechargeable as opposed to the Nexus and Fire. The nexus is BT and 2xAAA while the Fire is BT and uses a watch battery.

If I'm using BT then I can troubleshoot anything that comes up. If other people are using it then it's a different story. Yeah, the BT headphones and speakers sold everywhere do flake out. Have you actually used a set of BT headphones with your WMC setup? Are you really telling me your personal experience is that you have a BT dongle and BT headset/headphones that you connect on a regular basis to WMC without any connection issues? I've used a whole lot of different BT usb dongles, android devices with BT integrated, NFC BT gateways, BT headphones, etc and occasionally losing connection as well as troubleshooting the connection once in a while is a sure thing.

WMC doesn't blow anything away with WAF. I used it for years, always pesky problems with it. It's constant rube goldberg and nowhere near the description of a "better product" with a "better experience" for me, my wife, or any visiting family. The question is why? Why put yourself through that kind of tech support situation when something seamless, integrated, and cheaper exists. What do I do when it's on the desktop, how do I get back to "TV", why is it updating, why can't I skip an MKV, why does it skip to a TV channel when I don't press numbers fast enough to skip forward in a movie, etc. I've been way around the block with WMC and all the rube goldberg add-ins for it. From my experience, I'm no longer convinced anyone should go for it. An HTPC is just not a good investment these days IMO. A server is a much better investment, which leads you to threads just like this where people ask about a Fire TV or Roku. Then others share their own personal experience. RPis can be great cheap clients as well if you are into 3D MVC playback, 23.976, and don't care much about bitstreaming HD audio.

You're not going to get good (any) cast integration outside of android tv. Miracast and what the fire tv provides is not as streamlined, but an alternative. If you just want a playback device, the fire has a lot of extra stuff it puts in your face

Airplay video won't be available outside of Apple TVs anytime soon either. Airplay audio kind of works for now with Kodi.

Many things to consider, these are all my personal experiences. I've been at this a while. I want my stuff more id"10"t proof than what WMC is able to provide, but I like having all the perks it used to provide. I don't have DRM cable anyway, xfinity works quite nicely in both Emby and Kodi for me though I may switch away if their android TV app is a suitable alternative in the future

epayson85

The combination of the shield's HDMI-CEC and the shield remote (which is free right now, and has been for a while) turns your TV on from sleep in unison with the shield. This can all be done with a much higher price harmony remote as well. Or can be done with the TV manufacturer remote, though you miss out on private listening with the others. Also, the remote is wifi direct and rechargeable as opposed to the Nexus and Fire. The nexus is BT and 2xAAA while the Fire is BT and uses a watch battery.

If I'm using BT then I can troubleshoot anything that comes up. If other people are using it then it's a different story. Yeah, the BT headphones and speakers sold everywhere do flake out. Have you actually used a set of BT headphones with your WMC setup? Are you really telling me your personal experience is that you have a BT dongle and BT headset/headphones that you connect on a regular basis to WMC without any connection issues? I've used a whole lot of different BT usb dongles, android devices with BT integrated, NFC BT gateways, BT headphones, etc and occasionally losing connection as well as troubleshooting the connection once in a while is a sure thing.

WMC doesn't blow anything away with WAF. I used it for years, always pesky problems with it. It's constant rube goldberg and nowhere near the description of a "better product" with a "better experience" for me, my wife, or any visiting family. The question is why? Why put yourself through that kind of tech support situation when something seamless, integrated, and cheaper exists. What do I do when it's on the desktop, how do I get back to "TV", why is it updating, why can't I skip an MKV, why does it skip to a TV channel when I don't press numbers fast enough to skip forward in a movie, etc. I've been way around the block with WMC and all the rube goldberg add-ins for it. From my experience, I'm no longer convinced anyone should go for it. An HTPC is just not a good investment these days IMO. A server is a much better investment, which leads you to threads just like this where people ask about a Fire TV or Roku. Then others share their own personal experience. RPis can be great cheap clients as well if you are into 3D MVC playback, 23.976, and don't care much about bitstreaming HD audio.

You're not going to get good (any) cast integration outside of android tv. Miracast and what the fire tv provides is not as streamlined, but an alternative. If you just want a playback device, the fire has a lot of extra stuff it puts in your face

Airplay video won't be available outside of Apple TVs anytime soon either. Airplay audio kind of works for now with Kodi.

Many things to consider, these are all my personal experiences. I've been at this a while. I want my stuff more id"10"t proof than what WMC is able to provide, but I like having all the perks it used to provide. I don't have DRM cable anyway, xfinity works quite nicely in both Emby and Kodi for me though I may switch away if their android TV app is a suitable alternative in the future

On a plane so trying to answer everything quickly but first off old Amazon firetvs used BT and phone battery. The new one uses tripple A batteries and wifi for the remote.... also the battery is removable... good luck when that battery does on your shield remote. That's another $50 for another remote.

Then yes I have used dongles however newer motherboards come with Bluetooth built in. Like mine. Even Intel compusticks have BT built in. And yes it works flawlessly.

More idiot proof than what WMC can provide? My father can't play solitaire on a computer... doesn't know what a start button is... I built him a WMC system and he uses it now issue. The beauty of a PC is you can just keep adding codecs as they come out. There is nothing more idiot proof than WMC.

Who needs apple air play on tv? And air play works great on my demon receiver anyway.

Yes aftv puts stuff in your face... if you are on prime like me who cares? Also you can remove all of it with a custom Android launcher.

The cast solution is called WMC cast or something but why bother if you are on a PC? You can access anything.

Can't skip an mkv??? What are you talking about?!?! Did you use wmc for XP or something? Wmc can play ANYTHING and does it perfectly. Tech support?? Like I say my father that is almost 65 uses it with no issue. Everyone that sees it wants it. It has the best Tv guide experience anywhere. You are very very very mistaken. Even Jodi's tv guide is no match. Even TiVo! Wmc mini guide? Omg the best feature for live TV. Plus unlike other apps wmc optimized it self to run non stop without reboots thus you don't see ehome applications using up all your memory after running a week straight. It is by far the best htpc app and the Emby app for wmc is the sharpest looking Emby experience out there.

If I'm going to be getting less of an experience I want to be paying less. Plus I don't want to spend $200 to $250 per tv. The Nexus / aftv can do anything meaningful that the shield can do besides hd audio. So if you aren't using a PC you maybe need one shield for your tv setup with a sound system. If you want something to show off though you would want to use something much better than the shield or any Android device.

dark_slayer

Meh, it's not about you. You aren't the OP and you have some weird axe to grind whilst living in fantasy land about WMC. My relatives can use everything at any age as long as I'm close enough to troubleshoot for them.

Also "accessing anything" on a PC has got to be the farthest cry from casting. That line is as old as HTPC. I'd never give my relatives or wife a keyboard/mouse and call it a success. Its just not my preference nor anyone who's ever tried using the TV. Casting a video, song, photo, or web page makes use of your existing device (iOS, Android, or Chrome) which are built and suited for browsing, yet with cast you can throw it over to the TV. So having a rube goldberg browser running atop an instance of WMC running atop windows is quite different indeed. More layers, more failure points

This is like a conversation with mfusick on AVS. Tech has come so far, yet we should complain about what a $150 box provides vs boasting about what a $350+ setup can be "made" to do via workaround after workaround.

And yes, LAV codecs or any other DS replacements atop WMC didn't allow skipping FW/RW in mkv videos all the way up to W8.1 and 2013 which was when I dumped it altogether. If the ability has been added in the past 3 years then great. Check one off the list. It didn't do chapter skips in mkv back then either. This is with the native player, layering mpchc on top (one more handoff/failure point) could be why you don't see that. Skipping was only accomplished by pressing numeric buttons then play, but if you didn't press play fast enough it would switch out of a movie to a tv channel. Then there is changing subtitles on the fly. Yet another layer, workaround, failure point. Switching that system audio device back and forth to Bluetooth? If that's built in to your mobo and robust, then great. It was not for me and is not for most HTPCs with WMC. I like that it's built into the shield remote, and I don't consider it the same thing as Bluetooth. It's also built into the game pad which comes standard. Works with any standard set of headphones, and it's one less device to charge and that's the primary reason I prefer it, but more so it's ubiquitous to the OS and there is no audio layer I have to worry about

epayson85

"Meh, it's not about you. You aren't the OP and you have some weird axe to grind whilst living in fantasy land about WMC. My relatives can use everything at any age as long as I'm close enough to troubleshoot for them."

There is no Ax to grind.  I just want everyone to be aware that they 100% do not need to buy a shield to get a great experience.  It is 100% unnecessary and over powered for an android box unless it is actually your main PC or gaming is truly necessary.  Also you are right, I'm not the OP more importantly THE OP DIDN"T EVEN ASK ABOUT THE SHIELD.  They asked about the Roku and AFTV.  Per usual someone with a shield comes flying in saying its the best which is simply not true.  A similarly priced PC is absolutely better.  Then for you to say "I'm close enough to troubleshoot" the point is to not have to troubleshoot!  WMC is so intuitive and incredibly stable I don't have to.  In fact what I have only had to start troubleshooting things now due to upgrading them to EMBY but its unrelated to WMC.

ITS NOT $150!!! Its $200!  then another $50 if you want the remote.  Show me anywhere that has it for $150!! More importantly $150 and comes with that remote with your silent listening that you keep going on about.  The point also isn't about the money its the fact that for the same price you can get a better product.  Or you can get almost the same exact product for less than half via a competitor box.  Also a client pc setup is not $350+.  A pc that can do even more than the shield with a better UI will cost sub $200.  You can get Nucs on amazon with memory and an ssd for $160 that will blow that thing out of the water.  Throw in a $20 remote and you are golden.  Then when it comes to the PC most people run their emby server on a PC so wouldn't it be more economical to have your Main PC that you already invested lots of money on to be on your main TV? Then you can use simple cheaper AFTV's, nexus players, or rokus on the other tv's since you don't need HD audio?  

Finally you can FF / REWIND anything on WMC.  You clearly don't know how to setup your codecs correctly.  I have been using WMC for all of my media since windows vista.  I would say it was around 2007 / 2008 that I left sage tv for their guide / recording and then XBMC for their media library because I was able to get WMC to do it all.  It works 100% perfectly and always has.  I would have never left xbmc / Kodi if it hadn't.  If you would like I will gladly show you a video of it all working.  Changing subtitles on the fly is incredibly easy if you setup your subtitles to be controlled by VOBSUB and then you create keyboard commands for VOBSOB that can be programmed to your remote that allow you to switch through them.  However, I don't even do that anymore, I just use forced Sub flags for all my movies that require subs.  VOBSUB can be setup to automatically only show certain subs so you don't even need to press any buttons anymore.  A heck of a lot better / easier than having to ever switch them.  So again its not a failure point in fact I would call it an enhancement.  No need to say CRAP, I need to turn on subtitles.

dark_slayer

Haha, yeah it's me. I'm too stupid to set things up

For background info to anyone that reads along, my opinions just come from my experiences. I've put my wife, parents, friends, and in laws to task with various setups over the years starting with WMC, media browser, xyvsfilter before it was xyvsfilter, reclock, haali, lav, shark, klite, mpchc, pott player, madvr, directvobsub, media center master, media center studio, media center themer, etc. Then xbmc, jriver, plex, and back to xbmc which became Kodi. In Windows, Linux, then OpenELEC, then Android. With everything from wolfdale x86 on through as well as the fire, nexus, rpi and a couple cheap Chinese Android boxes. All the relevant experiences I've had with each device are contained within the thread already. Cheers and best of luck in the hobby

epayson85

I didnt say you were too stupid you just clearly didn't know how to set it up. I too have experience with all of that software. I actually started on xbmc on the original Xbox before it ever came to PC. Wmc for live TV is hands down the best and as long as you setup the codecs correctly wmc plays any file perfectly. I will post a couple videos to show it playing an mkv with ff / rewind. It worked with media browser, worked with mymovies, and now works with Emby.

epayson85

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5OwWoVy_GQuMkxKeEFNQm1mc2c   so this is actually live tv.  Just to show how incredible the guide / mini guide is.  Nothing out there even comes close including set top boxes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5OwWoVy_GQuLXNHXzROM2dua0k  then this video shows WMC clearly playing an mkv with me rewinding and ff in 30 second intervals.  You can see its an mkv on the detail screen of the video which shows its file type.

I also included a photo of the full tv guide.  Its going to be a long time before anyone replace wmc.  Emby theater is getting there though and I do hope it eventually replaces it.  If not, wmc can go on for a very long time due to EPG123 which has now allowed guide data to come from schedules direct.  So even microsoft stops supplying guide data we no longer need it.  I don't even use their guide data anymore.

post-3254-0-29382300-1464230147_thumb.jpg

split

I was a big HTPC supporter and I would fist-bump with the best of them, but ‘m completely over it. It requires far too much setup and configuration. Mice, keyboards, app here, window there..its the last thing I want when all I need is a veg-out session. I think it is going to remain a hobbyist device. And if there is a way to unify streaming providers like Netflix, Prime Video, HBO, etc…well, then I missed it completely. That issue is quite possibly why I put up with cable TV for as long as I did.

So I decided to not build out a new HTPC and instead went with the Roku4, despite many people urging me towards FireTV. And that is simply because I brought it home from the store for a trial one day and the family just took to it. My wife is not a techy, so the fact that she and the kids could just pick it up and immediately make sense of things was a victory that validated my decision. Granted, I’m sure the FTV would have had equal success, but I’ve heard the horrors of Amazon flexing their sales arm and pushing the paid content while hiding your Prime access in the “back room”. Much of that may have been overly dramatized, and could be overcome with side-loading, but that again smells like setup effort.

Comparatively the Roku4 may be as ugly as a hatful of buttholes, but I applaud it for its simple nature. Roku could easily update the UI and maintain the simplicity, but I doubt Amazon will overhaul their methods.

• Like 1

epayson85

I was a big HTPC supporter and I would fist-bump with the best of them, but ‘m completely over it. It requires far too much setup and configuration. Mice, keyboards, app here, window there..its the last thing I want when all I need is a veg-out session. I think it is going to remain a hobbyist device. And if there is a way to unify streaming providers like Netflix, Prime Video, HBO, etc…well, then I missed it completely. That issue is quite possibly why I put up with cable TV for as long as I did.

So I decided to not build out a new HTPC and instead went with the Roku4, despite many people urging me towards FireTV. And that is simply because I brought it home from the store for a trial one day and the family just took to it. My wife is not a techy, so the fact that she and the kids could just pick it up and immediately make sense of things was a victory that validated my decision. Granted, I’m sure the FTV would have had equal success, but I’ve heard the horrors of Amazon flexing their sales arm and pushing the paid content while hiding your Prime access in the “back room”. Much of that may have been overly dramatized, and could be overcome with side-loading, but that again smells like setup effort.

Comparatively the Roku4 may be as ugly as a hatful of buttholes, but I applaud it for its simple nature. Roku could easily update the UI and maintain the simplicity, but I doubt Amazon will overhaul their methods.

As a user of htpc, Android TV, Roku, and aftv I can Say the aftv complaints are unfounded lol. Yes they put stuff right in your face but it's not like pop up ads keeping you from finding your stuff. It always goes right to your most used apps so for me Netflix and Emby... I don't even see the other items most of the time unless my firetv reboots.

If you do windows 8.1 or higher it's very easy to unify those apps on an htpc no need to get out a mouse and keyboard. I only use Netflix besides wmc so haven't. Bothered upgrading windows. Plus windows 7 works perfectly with my tuners. I will admit there is setup involved with an htpc but once it's setup it works. You have to configure Emby correct? Everything has a configuration unless you are just talking netflix and Hulu. I can say the nightmares of the gf texting me when I'm not home about the Tv not working went away when I went to wmc. She hated xbmc / kodi lol. It finally got to the point I knew I could give it to family members. My sisters family has one and so does my father. I never have to connect to either for tech support (only recently to my dad's due to Emby server not rebooting after updates so non wmc related and has been fixed) and only have a VPN setup in order to send them new movies.

To each their own and what everyone uses it for. However, if you record / watch live TV via Emby / a PC... you are really missing out not using wmc.

@@split as the OP of this thread you can mark the best answer to it. You can choose your own last post as the best answer. Doing this will denote this thread as solved.

@@epayson85

that fellow you just quoted is the OP of this thread. I would think his opinion matters most here since he created this very thread the question was asked in. Keep in mind, we are all welcome to enjoy emby with any app on any platform. We are one with emby. Emby is one with us.

There need not be a pissing contest. I understand your emotion and conviction. You are entitled to what you see best and give advice based on your experience. If it was @@dark_slayer you quoted I would let the pissing contest continue between you two and not have posted any in-between commentary.

I personally find fanboy-ism entertaining, others may not, to each their own.

Edited by speechles

loganfilm

I think the 4K downplay is unwarranted, as there is an astonishing amount of 4K content available, once you factor in Amazon Prime, Netflix, and a whole bunch more reasonably priced apps that all work on Amazon Fire. Also, the integration with Amazon Alexa is extremely cool and just gets better every day. I have 56 smart devices on my network that are all Alexa enabled, so it's all rather seamless and that number will only ever grow. Once you add in side loading Kodi on the fire with both expandable internal and external storage options and complete prime ordering integration including package tracking and a zillion other things that come online daily... Amazon Fire TV is hands down the clear winner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loganfilm

...to me. Maybe you don't care for such seamless integration. But I do. I have 5 Alexa devices throughout the house, so this just makes sense. (To me)

I have 56 smart devices on my network that are all Alexa enabled, so it's all rather seamless and that number will only ever grow.

you have 56 amazon dash buttons? j/k

I mean, devices controlled thru alexa? Then firetv was a no brainer for your enjoyment. It complements your prior purchases into amazons rainforest.

The OP of the thread already chose a device though. So while we continue to show our reasoning behind technology purchases and debate which one device should rule the world. We are already too late for the OP.

Edited by speechles

loganfilm

you have 56 amazon dash buttons?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes. 56 dash buttons. I never want to be farther that 14 inches from the ability to re-order soap. You make it sound like this is some kind of unique weird affliction or something. What do you do when you need things? Do you actually pick something up off a table, using several different muscle groups and risk some kind of strain?? I just push a button, and 4 of them are on my hat and I can activate them by leaning slightly into a couch pillow and never ever even lift so much as an arm while continuously sucking beer directly from my kegerator hose that I used silly putty and thick peanut butter to get a good lasting lazy seal on my mouth with zero effort. I can keep going.

Yes. 56 dash buttons. I never want to be farther that 14 inches from the ability to re-order soap. You make it sound like this is some kind of unique weird affliction or something. What do you do when you need things? Do you actually pick something up off a table, using several different muscle groups and risk some kind of strain?? I just push a button, and 4 of them are on my hat and I can activate them by leaning slightly into a couch pillow and never ever even lift so much as an arm while continuously sucking beer directly from my kegerator hose that I used silly putty and thick peanut butter to get a good lasting lazy seal on my mouth with zero effort. I can keep going.

<3 .. haw

I actually use these buildings you drive to called stores usually. Mainly because I have this "I want it now" affliction. Don't ge me wrong I still order things I can wait for using the trusty switchblade known as the internet. Its just when doing so I dont pull out the "amazon" blade everytime. Apparently neither do you using ipad rather than amazonian hardware. Lol. peanut butter seal..i am still laughing at that part. you are good at this.

But like I said, we are just wasting peoples time. those reading this right now. Its not like we need to keep debate things and throw our giant e-penises around asking "is it big?" to everyone. Its okay you use amazon. I never questioned your loyalty. I was merely making a conjecture in the form of snarky wit. Sorry you took offense. :)

Edited by speechles

loganfilm

<3 .. haw

I actually use these buildings you drive to called stores usually. Mainly because I have this "I want it now" affliction. Don't ge me wrong I still order things I can wait for using the trusty switchblade known as the internet. Its just when doing so I dont pull out the "amazon" blade everytime. Apparently neither do you using ipad rather than amazonian hardware. Lol. peanut butter seal..i am still laughing at that part. you are good at this.

But like I said, we are just wasting peoples time. those reading this right now. Its not like we need to keep debate things and throw our giant e-penises around asking "is it big?" to everyone. Its okay you use amazon. I never questioned your loyalty. I was merely making a conjecture in the form of snarky wit. Sorry you took offense. :)

Where I live, Amazon is usually here under an hour for most things. You go ahead and do that "drive" thing while I personally perfect myself into a human veal pod with the intent to get the entirety of my muscle motion and exertion relegated to minor facial expressions and then eventually just phase that out in favor of running my entire life with simple basic retina adjustments. I want swallowing solid food to be considered "sport".

Mostly though, I bought the Fire TV in response to Apple being unable to stream Amazon prime and their complete disregard for 4K capability, knowing any early adopter would just buy one again next year when that feature is added. The Apple interface is far superior, until you try Kodi or Plex, which are both amazing on Fire. The good thing is that all of these offerings are relatively inexpensive, so you can try a few out without financial ruin if you are that unsure.

epayson85

@@split as the OP of this thread you can mark the best answer to it. You can choose your own last post as the best answer. Doing this will denote this thread as solved.

@@epayson85

that fellow you just quoted is the OP of this thread. I would think his opinion matters most here since he created this very thread the question was asked in. Keep in mind, we are all welcome to enjoy emby with any app on any platform. We are one with emby. Emby is one with us.

There need not be a pissing contest. I understand your emotion and conviction. You are entitled to what you see best and give advice based on your experience. If it was @@dark_slayer you quoted I would let the pissing contest continue between you two and not have posted any in-between commentary.

I personally find fanboy-ism entertaining, others may not, to each their own.

I didn't see it as a pissing contest, especially not towards split. I completely understand where he is coming from I was simply answering a couple of things he was unsure about. For example him saying that he has heard horror stories about Amazon strong arming people on aftv.

I'm no fan boy, I have bought just about every device out there (except wasting my money on the shield lol) I have used xbmc, kodi, Plex, sage tv, jriver, media portal, nextpvr...

heck you can find plenty of threads on here where I have told people not to get an aftv because of constant crashes and freezes. I don't recommend based on fanboyism / because I chose this investment thus it is now the best because it was my choice. I make my recommendation based 100% on experience and my knowledge of these systems. I know not everyone has money to waste trying all these boxes and software so I think having valid opinions out there is important.

I have already seen plenty of invalid ones such as wmc can't play mkvs and the Nexus player can't support mpeg2. If you see it as a pissing contest, I apologize. As for me my only fanboyism is to what ever works best. Hence why I am very excited for Emby theater since I think it will get there.

Vidman

You may not be a fanboy ...but you definitely have some issue with the shield tv

We get it ...you can stop now, you are not going to change the mind of everyone that actually owns them and loves them. ..and the op has already made their decision so i think this thread can be closed now right?

Edited by Vidman

epayson85

You may not be a fanboy ...but you definitely have some issue with the shield tv

We get it ...you can stop now, you are not going to change the mind of everyone that actually owns them and loves them. ..and the op has already made their decision so i think this thread can be closed now right?

Some issue?  I have flat out said its a great box.  How do I know? because it runs on Marshmallow and has the same launcher the Nexus player has so I know its good.  The only issue, as I have stated already, is its price.  If you are buying a box just for media consumption there are products just as good for half the price or better products for the same price.  Clearly the fanboys on here are the guys that spent their money on Shields and flip out when anyone says anything negative about them.  All I hear about is how the shield can do things no other box can do and its just flat out wrong. Now if the shield price dropped I would consider buying one, I'm a huge fan of nvidia... but of course now we have the xiaomi mi box on the way and if its priced close to their chinese counter parts we could be in for a great product at a great price.  

Vidman

ARIGHT buddy as I said we get it MOVE ON!!!

Please mod for the love of God close this thread... It's going nowhere

Edited by Vidman

split

Alright, thanks everyone for your contributions. Believe it or not, i actually drew a ton of value from all the posts. Yes, i had to somewhat navigate the stormy seas of internet combat, but it was worth it :-)

I am sure to try the FireTV at some point in the future. Alexa integration into my daily live is most likely inevitable, but i will wait for Echo and similar products to mature a bit more. There is so much competition emerging right now on the back of Amazon's success here.

• Like 1