Chapter Thumbnails in Movies

AVTechMan

AVTechMan

Its been a long while since posting here but up till now I was using JRiver for my movies and music. As of late though I have been wanting to select a chapter for scene selection but River unfortunately doesn't have it right now and i am having to manually skip chapters in the movie to reach the one I want to play. 

I am getting back to using Emby again and its wonderful that the Shuffle option has finally been added for TV shows. But my question is that for Movies, it shows the information and "Related" section but nowhere did I see the scene selection screen. 

I haven't bought the subscription yet as I would like to see if I could get the chapter selection to appear somehow, unless I missed something. The option to extract chapter thumbnails is selected on the Server side. 

Hi, I removed it from the detail screen because I thought it was overkill. When you play video and you seek using the seek bar, that's when the chapter thumbnails get used to show a preview. It's currently only implemented when dragging the seek bar with a mouse, but I'm going to be doing a seek screen soon to handle ff/rew button presses.

mate37b4

The scene selection was really useful when watching concert videos and being able to go straight to the songs you wanted to play.

• Like 3

AVTechMan

I don't think its overkill having the scene selections.....every DVD and BD has them. There may be times (which has been alot recently) that I would like to start a movie from a certain chapter point, rather than having to skip chapters from the beginning to that point. 

Hopefully it will be re-added at some point. 

• Like 3

AdrianW

Yes,I agree - the chapter selection section is too important to remove.

Having the images appear when dragging on the seek bar is cool - but I'm not sure how useful it is, unless chapters occur even more frequently than the current one every five minutes (or less often for some movies with built in chapters).

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
rubenverhoef

Hi, I removed it from the detail screen because I thought it was overkill. When you play video and you seek using the seek bar, that's when the chapter thumbnails get used to show a preview. It's currently only implemented when dragging the seek bar with a mouse, but I'm going to be doing a seek screen soon to handle ff/rew button presses.

you mean this would be possible?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31628-emby-server-seek-bar/

that would be great! that is one feature i really miss on web, mobile and (android)TV

rubenverhoef

It's already there in emby theater.

I see, but that is only for the normal chapter selection with about 10 min between images.

I would like to see an option to seek with screenshots for every x seconds like this: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202197528-Video-Preview-Thumbnails

and ofcourse for every platform.

I'm switching from plex to emby because of the fast development and great support, but there are some features i miss like the one i just explained.

Thanks for all the great work!!

• Like 1