AC3 audio stopped playing on shield when I upgraded to version 3.1

rzero

I just upgraded my shield console to ver 3.1. Afterwards, I tried to resume a show I was watching. Only now I had no sound. This was an MKV h.264 file with AC3 audio. I had no problems with the audio until I upgraded. I'm using an hdmi connection straight to the TV.  MKV files with AAC audio still play fine. So as an experiment, I went to my other shield console and resumed the same file. It played fine. I tried a few others, they all played fine. Then I upgraded to ver 3.1 also. None of the files with AC3 audio would play anymore.  As a further test, I tried playing back the same file with Kodi on both shield consoles. Both files played fine. No audio problems. So I assume, this a new problem associated with the shield upgrade and EMBY.  I couln't find any other topics about this, so I'm posting here. Let me know if you need more specifics, logs files etc....

• Like 1

My Shield updated to 3.1 today as well but I do not have this problem.  AC3 still playing fine...

I'm using Emby server version 3.0.5942.0. It plays everything directly on my shields.  No transcoding. Is there some kind of audio configuration I need to set? The only setup I did for Emby was download it and pick a user. Maybe something on my shield console I need to setup? 

so you're saying it's direct playing but you're just not hearing any audio? what is your speaker setup?

Yes its direct playing. I'm only using the speakers on my TV. Nothing else. AAC audio still works fine. I also tried the same file on several of my android tablets uisng transcoding. They all played the file fine. Then I tried two of my fire TV boxes (the original and the new one). They both played the file directly with no audio problems either. I also tried playing it on some of my computers in the browser. They all worked as well. In addition to this, I tried playing files that only has AAC audio on my shield consoles and I set the volume high - that worked as well. So I know the sound works just not for AC3 anymore. I went through the settings for the shield and EMBY and I didn't see anything relevant. Am I missing something? This all started the moment I upgraded the shield to 3.1. 

mjktg99

I am having the same problem. No audio from dd. I also am not getting dts but I cannot confirm it worked prior.

mjktg99

I've also lost it on live tv as well. If I change the audio setting to "compatible" everything works again. But then I'm no longer direct playing.

Edited by mjktg99

I've also lost it on live tv as well. If I change the audio setting to "compatible" everything works again. But then I'm no longer direct playing.

but it's an audio-only conversion, right?

TonkaTuff

Hi guys.

I've had issues with surround sound on my Android TV for a while http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29116-surround-sound/?p=286223  but thought I'd post again here since the behaviour has changed since I updated.

I'm running Emby Server v3.0.5931.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2 in service mode and Emby for Android TV v1.1.74g on my Sony Bravia KDL-65W-850C (Android 5.1.1). The TV outputs audio via HDMI ARC to my Yamaha HTR-3067 AVR, which supports both 5.1 DTS & AC3.

Here's the behaviour I've observed for a range of different file types:

• 5.1 AC3 avi (mpeg4)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) transcodes and plays stereo
    • (convert DTS to DD Off) transcodes and plays stereo
  • 5.1 DTS mkv (h264)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) transcodes and plays 5.1 (presumably converted AC3)
    • (convert DTS to DD Off) direct plays and downmixes to stereo
  • 7.1 DTS mkv (h264)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) transcodes and plays to 5.1 (presumably converted, down-mixed AC3)
  • 5.1 AC3 mkv (h264)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) appears to attempt direct play but *fails to play*
    • (convert DTS to DD Off) appears to attempt direct play but *fails to play*
  • 5.1 AAC mkv (h264)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) direct plays and down-mixes to stereo (not sure if Emby, Android or AVR is down-mixing)
    • (convert DTS to DD Off) direct plays and down-mixes to stereo (not sure if Emby, Android or AVR is down-mixing)

As you can see, I'm getting 5.1 playback when the source is DTS and 'convert DTS to DD' is enabled but I get down-mixed to stereo when 'convert DTS to DD' is disabled or when the source is AC3 in avi format.

Additionally, playback fails altogether when the source is AC3 in mkv container.

And finally, I get down-mixed to stereo when the source is AAC, regardless of the conversion setting.

It seems I can only achieve 5.1 playback when transcoding and even then only under certain conditions.

I'll slip in a feature request here.... could AAC to AC3 conversion be implemented, similar to as has been done for DTS to DD conversion?

Happy to post some logs for these tests if you can let me know what's needed.

Cheers,

TT

Heuer

I'm using Emby server version 3.0.5942.0. It plays everything directly on my shields.  No transcoding. Is there some kind of audio configuration I need to set? The only setup I did for Emby was download it and pick a user. Maybe something on my shield console I need to setup? 

Works fine on my Shield after upgrading to 3.1. Do you have audio output set to 'Direct' rather than 'Compatible' in Emby settings? I only get stereo if I set it to 'compatible'.

mjktg99

Also, I cant say if I was ever getting true 5.1.  I am not hooked up to a receiver.  But if it was only passing through the 2 channels in Direct mode, it worked prior to the upgrade.

I tried running a bunch of files with DTS audio on my shields last night. Once again, no audio. Everything on the shields is direct, no transcoding.  I ran these same files on my computer and they worked fine. In addition, I tried them on my fire tv boxes, they all played as well (although these were transcoded). I'm running emby on a windows 7 I5 box with 8 gb ram. The only thing running on this box is emby. I tried rebooting the server, rebooting the shields, same results. So as it currently stands, I can only watch files with AAC audio on my shield(ver 3.1) using emby.  Kodi, on the other hand, worked fine for everything on the shields. Its just not a s convenient to use.

Heuer

Tried to replicate this problem on my 3.1 Shield for you but AC3 (H264 mkv) play perfectly through my Denon receiver. Files are not transcoded; server is HTPC Win 7, i3, 8Gb RAM which also hosts Squeezebox and Milestone Security camera software.

mjktg99

Im not using a receiver.  So I wonder if it has something to do with the Shields detection of the TV capabilities.  When I had a roku plugged into this TV, everything was transcoded except for AAC 2-channel audio.  And when I switched to the Shield nothing was being transcoded due to audio.  Hmm..

I tried running a bunch of files with DTS audio on my shields last night. Once again, no audio. Everything on the shields is direct, no transcoding.  I ran these same files on my computer and they worked fine. In addition, I tried them on my fire tv boxes, they all played as well (although these were transcoded). I'm running emby on a windows 7 I5 box with 8 gb ram. The only thing running on this box is emby. I tried rebooting the server, rebooting the shields, same results. So as it currently stands, I can only watch files with AAC audio on my shield(ver 3.1) using emby.  Kodi, on the other hand, worked fine for everything on the shields. Its just not a s convenient to use.

Im not using a receiver.  So I wonder if it has something to do with the Shields detection of the TV capabilities.  When I had a roku plugged into this TV, everything was transcoded except for AAC 2-channel audio.  And when I switched to the Shield nothing was being transcoded due to audio.  Hmm..

If your outbound equipment cannot handle the direct DD stream, you need to set the audio mode in the app to "Compatible" which will produce stereo sound for you.  If transcoding is required, it will only be a simple audio transcode and not take much at all.

Hi guys.

I've had issues with surround sound on my Android TV for a while http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29116-surround-sound/?p=286223  but thought I'd post again here since the behaviour has changed since I updated.

I'm running Emby Server v3.0.5931.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2 in service mode and Emby for Android TV v1.1.74g on my Sony Bravia KDL-65W-850C (Android 5.1.1). The TV outputs audio via HDMI ARC to my Yamaha HTR-3067 AVR, which supports both 5.1 DTS & AC3.

Here's the behaviour I've observed for a range of different file types:

• 5.1 AC3 avi (mpeg4)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) transcodes and plays stereo
  • 5.1 DTS mkv (h264)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) transcodes and plays 5.1 (presumably converted AC3)
    • (convert DTS to DD Off) direct plays and downmixes to stereo
  • 7.1 DTS mkv (h264)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) transcodes and plays to 5.1 (presumably converted, down-mixed AC3)
  • 5.1 AC3 mkv (h264)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) appears to attempt direct play but *fails to play*
    • (convert DTS to DD Off) appears to attempt direct play but *fails to play*
  • 5.1 AAC mkv (h264)
    • (convert DTS to DD On) direct plays and down-mixes to stereo (not sure if Emby, Android or AVR is down-mixing)
    • (convert DTS to DD Off) direct plays and down-mixes to stereo (not sure if Emby, Android or AVR is down-mixing)

As you can see, I'm getting 5.1 playback when the source is DTS and 'convert DTS to DD' is enabled but I get down-mixed to stereo when 'convert DTS to DD' is disabled or when the source is AC3 in avi format.

Additionally, playback fails altogether when the source is AC3 in mkv container.

And finally, I get down-mixed to stereo when the source is AAC, regardless of the conversion setting.

It seems I can only achieve 5.1 playback when transcoding and even then only under certain conditions.

I'll slip in a feature request here.... could AAC to AC3 conversion be implemented, similar to as has been done for DTS to DD conversion?

Happy to post some logs for these tests if you can let me know what's needed.

Cheers,

TT

This sounds like your TV doesn't support DTS or AAC multi-channel and is, therefore, downmixing it to stereo.

As for the playback failure, we need to look at all the specifics for that.  Please start a new thread.  Thanks.

mjktg99

If your outbound equipment cannot handle the direct DD stream, you need to set the audio mode in the app to "Compatible" which will produce stereo sound for you.  If transcoding is required, it will only be a simple audio transcode and not take much at all.

There was not an emby update so Im not pointing at the app, but I wonder what was in the Sheild update that now made this a requirement.  It was working fine before the update but now requires "compatability"

The device may have changed how it handles the DD stream.  Look for any settings on the device itself related to this.

coolsaber57

There was not an emby update so Im not pointing at the app, but I wonder what was in the Sheild update that now made this a requirement. It was working fine before the update but now requires "compatability"

I'm currently having an issue with my audio not playing when setting it to "direct" rather than "compatible", but I did take a look and saw that the Emby app was updated on 4/21, which included changes to audio processing. Prior to a few days ago, it worked just fine on my Shield TV. I'm wondering if the changes to the app borked something causing this issue.

Edited by coolsaber57

We changed video player frameworks to what is now the best available on android. It now allows audio-passthrough as well as other features that weren't possible before. the only drawback in your case is that can only decode audio formats that are natively supported by the device, so that is why you need to use the Compatible audio setting. But the video is still direct playing, just with converted audio.

coolsaber57

We changed video player frameworks to what is now the best available on android. It now allows audio-passthrough as well as other features that weren't possible before. the only drawback in your case is that can only decode audio formats that are natively supported by the device, so that is why you need to use the Compatible audio setting. But the video is still direct playing, just with converted audio.

I see. I know that MX Player requires you to download a custom codec allowing additional AC3 compatibility. Any chance of adding something like that to allow for direct play of audio rather than transcoding?

TonkaTuff

This sounds like your TV doesn't support DTS or AAC multi-channel and is, therefore, downmixing it to stereo.

Thanks ebr.

That would explain why I can't bitstream DTS and it is supported by some other testing I've done and the TV's spec's which indicate "Digital Out Format: Dolby Digital, PCM" (no mention of DTS or AC3).

However, it doesn't account for why I get 5.1 AC3 bitsteamed to the AVR with the "mkv 5.1/7.1 DTS converted to AC3 by Emby" sources but I only get stereo with the AC3 mkv (direct play) and AC3 avi (transcoded) sources.

It seems that the app/TV bit-streams 5.1 AC3 to the AVR when Emby has converted a DTS source to AC3 but when the source is already AC3, I get PCM stereo.

If source is 5.1 AC3 avi, emby transcodes and playback is stereo PCM

If source is 5.1 AC3 mkv, Emby direct plays and playback is stereo PCM

If source is 5.1 or 7.1 DTS mkv and 'convert DTS to DD' is ON, Emby transcodes and playback is 5.1 AC3

Cheers,

TT