Going back to previous andorid tv app?

Pirlo1966

Pirlo1966

How do I go back to the previous official android tv emby app release (1.47 I believe it was)?

The latest release is completely worthless in my case because almost every movie gets transcoded now, probably because of pgs subtitles in movie mkv's.

My NAS cannot handle this load and transcode quality is poor to very bad.

I also notice that the emby app does not respond to the 'no subtitle' selection. Subtitle still gets transcoded and presented over the movie, provocing a low qulaity subtitle and a stuttering movie.

Edited by ehgeahrev

I also notice that the emby app does not respond to the 'no subtitle' selection. Subtitle still gets transcoded and presented over the movie, provocing a low qulaity subtitle and a stuttering movie.

Can you please explain exactly what you are doing here?  I am able to play without subtitles.

Pirlo1966

Most important: Is there a way to go back to previous stable release for the emby app on my shield console?

Serverside > subtitle modus > smart

Client side (shield) > movie ac3-5.1 with prefered language as set on server > no subtitle active (which is fine because no sub needed since prefered language has audio track)> but still movie transcodes. Why? When played with english language track and without subs it direct plays ...

57180fb2601c3_Knipsel.jpg

Two logs i found for this movie. A remux and a transcode log. 

- I get direct play with only english audio track and no subs selected.

- When i change audio to ac3 dutch movie gets transcoded??

- When I select dutch sub, movie gets transcoded

I do not get why there is only 1 transcode logfile or this movie and about 12 for the other one?

remux-7942cb4d-a55a-4561-ad8c-188c65e6cf85.txt

transcode-1fc0affd-f76d-435e-b1c1-013b61a521eb.txt

Edited by ehgeahrev

Pirlo1966

I tried another movie.

Serverside > subtitle modus > smart

Client side (shield) > movie withe true HD > transcodes.

When setting the audio track to french ac3 > transcodes

When trying to disable dutch sub by selecting none in the emby app> sub is still rendered despite selecting none > movie still transcodes ... and transcoding is choppy playback :-(

5718117131628_Knipsel.jpg

All these transcode files are related to this movie when I tried to playback earlier on. Sorry about the quantity of logs but that's the harvest of plaiyng a mivie during a few minutes and changing some audio/subs tracks. I only skipped forward, changed audio and subtitle tracks. I never stopped or restarted the movie.

Subtitle settings on server are set to smart, prefered sub is set to dutch.

I noticed:

- changing subtitle track in emby app did change audio track (back to default audi track I think)??

- I can change subtitle from dutch to english but I cannot change it to none?? Even if set it to none in the app, subs are still rendered?

- Whatever I do, movie freezes a few seconds every 20 seconds or so and is in very scenario transcoded.

transcode-5a93ee19-68ae-49fc-9d11-3c0236759d64.txt

transcode-5cfe876c-1bfa-47bc-988f-bccb220a823e.txt

transcode-6d2bf93b-0688-4f90-ac1e-5af5b69ed75d.txt

transcode-7f23f093-c1bb-4d80-8345-33782a0d45fc.txt

transcode-63e8ef23-2e3d-40dc-988d-e5d9a880018b.txt

transcode-5874f416-a8bc-4107-a046-a89dc73dc060.txt

transcode-080153af-fd65-4a7b-be00-b653030592ab.txt

transcode-758072ee-1e3b-4c4d-a7c3-9a60739b690d.txt

transcode-7882162a-7a26-46ee-a1bc-01e1ccfaa70c.txt

transcode-a6f630a6-9948-43ab-9407-759e4515ff41.txt

transcode-a653460f-fc43-4ef5-8052-f3fe1b6b79d3.txt

transcode-afde759f-7123-400c-8b95-29007e3cdc84.txt

transcode-c48a8619-1546-447b-9a3e-ea5663278b26.txt

transcode-cf8bf9a9-3222-4239-bc6b-ad2dfb5a0445.txt

Edited by ehgeahrev

Yes, please post the trascode log(s).  Also, your specific subtitle settings. Thx.

Pirlo1966

Since there are a lot of logs there, can you identify some? Which ones correspond to your post #3? Which ones for post #4? Thanks.

Yes, please one transcode log that matches up with the above media information.  I went looking and kept coming up with playback of a folder rip - which, obviously, is going to transcode.

This could be related but it may not be the Emby android app causing the trouble. From my experience, everything was great with prior version of Emby Android TV app running on Nvidia Shield TV 6.0 with HD Homerun cable card tuner. This config would direct steam from the hdhomerun without a problem and recorded/live content looked excellent.  I never should have applied the Shield 3.1 update as for me that is where it started going downhill.  Now Live TV will not stream direct at all, it transcodes. Even from the Live Channels/Insta TV Pro app it also transcodes when before it would direct play. I have also noticed degradation in h.264 media playback. Video that was smooth and clear before and now choppy/unclear (this will direct play).

If I play the same file on IOS through emby app the quality looks amazing and will direct play with no choppy or unclear playback.

The OP does not say he is using an nVidia Shield TV but I am curious if so.

I am using 5930 version of emby server and had also just updated to the most recent android app on the shield. I noticed a slight improvement over previous version but it was nothing like what it was. I will try 5931 upgrade to see if that makes a difference as well. It just feels to me the shield 3.1 update is culprit as that is when I noticed the change.

This could be related but it may not be the Emby android app causing the trouble. From my experience, everything was great with prior version of Emby Android TV app running on Nvidia Shield TV 6.0 with HD Homerun cable card tuner. This config would direct steam from the hdhomerun without a problem and recorded/live content looked excellent.  I never should have applied the Shield 3.1 update as for me that is where it started going downhill.  Now Live TV will not stream direct at all, it transcodes. Even from the Live Channels/Insta TV Pro app it also transcodes when before it would direct play. I have also noticed degradation in h.264 media playback. Video that was smooth and clear before and now choppy/unclear (this will direct play).

If I play the same file on IOS through emby app the quality looks amazing and will direct play with no choppy or unclear playback.

The OP does not say he is using an nVidia Shield TV but I am curious if so.

I am using 5930 version of emby server and had also just updated to the most recent android app on the shield. I noticed a slight improvement over previous version but it was nothing like what it was. I will try 5931 upgrade to see if that makes a difference as well. It just feels to me the shield 3.1 update is culprit as that is when I noticed the change.

Live TV is a completely different animal and unrelated to this issue.  Your issue is probably that you need to upgrade the firmware on your HDHR. 

Live TV is a completely different animal and unrelated to this issue.  Your issue is probably that you need to upgrade the firmware on your HDHR. 

Thanks. I was running an older firmware. I updated to the latest version 20160328latest2 but still seem to be transcoding all live tv.  Even in the InstaTV/Live Channels app it is not direct playing like it was.  Everything was fine for me with this on the old firmware until the shield 3.1 update came down.  Thankfully emby server is on an i7 cpu and I can deal with it for time being but still curious on why it does not direct play any longer. I did restart hdhomerun and it got a new IP address from DHCP other than what Emby had been setup/installed with originally, not sure if this is a factor or not. It is working so should not be an issue. In Live TV settings I noticed the current and old Ip address listed for tuners. I should probably give the tuner a static IP. Upgraded to latest official emby server, restarted homerun and shield but no go. 

Not trying to side track thread from OP, sorry. I will keep this issue out of this thread. I had thought it was related as I experienced issues recently.......although I do feel it is shield update related and not specifically emby.

Pirlo1966

Yes, please one transcode log that matches up with the above media information.  I went looking and kept coming up with playback of a folder rip - which, obviously, is going to transcode.

Well, I tried 2 movies yesterday (those with the media info screenshots) and apparently all these transcode logs are related to those 2 movies. I stopped and started a few times in order to change audio/subtitle tracks. I guess for each track switch a new transcode log is generated?

By no means I have folder rips. All my media are high quality mkv's. 

I'll perform a new test with the same movies. Hopefully less transcode log files :-)

Pirlo1966

Done. I added the logs to the above media info screen shots and also added some findings.

Pirlo1966

Since there are a lot of logs there, can you identify some? Which ones correspond to your post #3? Which ones for post #4? Thanks.

Done.  Added the logs to the right media info screenshots together with some strange findings.

- When i change audio to ac3 dutch movie gets transcoded??

No, it gets re-muxed as indicated by the log.  The video is straight copying and you should see very little impact on your server from this.

When I select dutch sub, movie gets transcoded

That is because the graphical subtitle must be burned in.  

• 2 years later...
jasonsimth
it was working smooth on my android phone when it was running on android version 6.0.1 however as I have updated to android version 7.1.1 whenever now I am opening the app it only loads a blank screen on the start up and crashes after a while automatically. How do I fix it?

with regards

Edited by jasonsimth