Crashing in the middle of the night

kjp4756

kjp4756

I've been running emby server for just over a year and never had any problems until now.  Sometimes during the middle of the night the emby server process will terminate.

I have a feeling it's the kodi sync plugin causing this so I will remove that and see what happens.  Here is my log after it crashed this morning.  If anyone has any other ideas what may be causing it, let me know.

One other thing I have recently done is updated freenas from 9.3 to 9.10.  I run emby in a regular jail and not the plugin.  My jail was freshly created using the new freebsd 10 template.

server-63596016000.txt

Hi, yes this log looks fine. If you're certain there are no other logs from that time period, then I would start by removing plugins and seeing if the issue persists. Thanks.

PhilWhite

Luke, quick question......I had a problem recently with the server stopping and found that realtime monitoring, which I thought had been removed from the Library settings for Freenas, was back and set to auto.  Is that a feature again in the Freenas version and does it still cause the server to stop randomly?  Or had that issue been fixed earlier and I missed it?

I turned off realtime monitoring and haven't had a problem since, but I don't know if that is what caused my problem.

If you're running a recent server release then for you auto is the same as off. I have the automatic set to off for BSD. 

kjp4756

Crashed again this morning at 7:21 with no plugins installed.  Logs aren't showing anything either.  No other tasks were being done on the server.

Now I'm wondering if it's mono itself crashing because of the custom patches that @@razzfazz created to get file system monitoring working.   I did change the way my library is organized recently.  Instead of '/media/Movies/Movie (year).mp4' it's '/media/Movies/Movie (year)/Movie (year).mp4'  Maybe the number of subdirectories is causing issues?  There's almost 1200 subdirectories.

server-63596102400.txt

kjp4756

Yes I'm currently using those patches on what ever mono version I have.  It's not the newest.  For now I've hacked the init script to restart the mono process if it crashes.  I don't want to disable the file system monitor.  I don't think I could go back to not having that feature.

I'm fairly certain the emby freenas plugin also uses these mono patches.  Nobody seem to be reporting issues with that so it must be something unique with my set up.

PhilWhite

If you're running a recent server release then for you auto is the same as off. I have the automatic set to off for BSD. 

Thanks

josh4trunks

yes, the freenas plugin has the patches.

I also notices my emby plugin crashed 2 nights ago which has never happened to me before. I have realtime monitoring enabled.

kjp4756

yes, the freenas plugin has the patches.

I also notices my emby plugin crashed 2 nights ago which has never happened to me before. I have realtime monitoring enabled.

Had 2 crashes last night.  At least it restarts now automatically if it crashes.

Are you on freenas 9.10?  I've had no troubles until very recently and 1 of the things I've done recently is upgraded to 9.10.  Tonight I will install the non modified version of mono, then disable file system monitor and see what happens with it during the night.

josh4trunks

Had 2 crashes last night. At least it restarts now automatically if it crashes.

Are you on freenas 9.10? I've had no troubles until very recently and 1 of the things I've done recently is upgraded to 9.10. Tonight I will install the non modified version of mono, then disable file system monitor and see what happens with it during the night.

yeah I'm on freenas 9.10

haven't noticed a crash on the emby install at my sisters house running in a freebsd10 jail, on pfsense. so might be related to 9.10's mismatched userland/kernel

kjp4756

yeah I'm on freenas 9.10

haven't noticed a crash on the emby install at my sisters house running in a freebsd10 jail, on pfsense. so might be related to 9.10's mismatched userland/kernel

I'm using v 10.3 user land as my jail base. Is your sister using those mono patches for file system monitoring? I'm guessing that's the problem for some reason.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow if emby crashes with the stock mono.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

josh4trunks

yes my sisters system had the patches and has realtime monitoring enabled, but no crashes there.

so I believe we can isolate this issue to patched mono, on freebsd 9 jail userland, on a freebsd 10 kernel (freenas 9.10)

josh4trunks

I take it back, emby on my sisters server crashed yesterday. so I'm. guessing it is an issue with the patched mono / realtime monitoring.

rubenverhoef

I don't know if it is relevant but i have had two times that emby was using 100% CP.

One time i think it was when i was browsing the movie list with kodi plugin. And the other time was i think when i edited some info of a movie. I restarted the jail and the problem was fixed.

If i get this an other time I will look into the logs etc. to investigate.

EDIT:  I use the last emby plugin on freenas, so with the patches of mono.

Edited by rubenverhoef