Gapless music playback

esp1818

esp1818

When I'm streaming music there is silence between songs. When I'm on my home network it's usually less than a second which isn't that much of an issue, but when I have a bad wifi connection on my home network or I'm on the cellular network there can be up to 20 seconds of silence between songs. My guess as to what's happening is that it doesn't fetch the next song until the current song is finished. On my home network it can do that relatively instantly but when there isn't a solid/fast connection it has trouble doing that. I was wondering if it can pre-fetch the next song so that the playback is smooth and gapless?

• Like 2

jamvids

I would love to see this too. It would make for nice album art transition/animation and up next (like on Android TV) as well as smooth playback.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I'm a beta tester for android app and it isnt gapless tried it using flac dark side of the moon and it noticable gaps still

I'm testing with the same pink floyd content and it has been gapless here. But it assumes fast access to the content. Any network delays can obviously create gaps. The app isn't' doing any kind of pre-loading of the next track.

Migrateddoor

Well I'm not getting any gapless playback do I need to check or tic something in the app or do I need to update my server or something

The mpv player we're using as an experiential feature to prefect the next playlist entry while the current one is playing. We can look at incorporating that, I just need to learn what the potential consequences are. Thanks.

Migrateddoor

I keep trying different tracks that I know are supposed to be gapless and it stutters stops and starts playing next song I've tried different settings in the transcoding menu to no avail

I can start playing with mpv's prefect option. The problem that you're most likely running into is the network delay. Thanks.

Migrateddoor

Mpv's? I have a great network and plex doesn't have a problem when playing gapless playback whatever emby is doing isn't working or I guess I have my emby setup wrong cuz I see absolutely no improvement over gapless playback from before emby implemented it

• Like 1

It is gapless assuming near instant access to the media. If it isn't, it's not doing anything to overcome that, so that's an area we can still improve on. Thanks.

Migrateddoor

Exactly it's not near instant access there's still at least 1 2 second gap with a stutter stop thrown in. I have 60 percent of my music is flac. So I know the file container isn't the problem

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
vdatanet
4 hours ago, dv1r said:

3 years later, is there any progress on this front?

Emby for Android Mobile supports gapless music playback. What app are you using?

dv1r

Yes, on my phone it works gapless.

On the web player there is a small gap.

When casting from an android phone to an Nvidia Shield there is also a very noticeable gap.

Everything is running the latest version of emby.