Network share syntax? How does one add shares from another NAS.

pmcd

I have Emby on a QNAP TS-251+. I also have a Synology on the network with some media shares. I can't seem to get the Emby server on the QNAP to see the shares from the Synology. In particular the syntax \\ip\<share> doesn't work, even if I use the full path to the share. The shares' protocols are smb, ftp, nfs, afp so something ought to be seen! The QNAP sees them just fine. Is there some other way of doing this via path substitution or whatever?

Also, the syntax \()\<share> works on Windows but on the NAS the path would be using "/" and not "\" . What would the syntax be for non-Windows?

Emby does see the QNAP shares just fine, but "network" is empty which I take is related to mono. Is Emby not running natively on the QNAP?

smb shares using \\ are not supported at this time on the qnap version, so you would first need to mount them to a local share within the OS and then add that to emby server.

It is the syntax I am confused about. While smb isn't supported, what about ftp or nfs? Could I use a syntax //ip number/Share ?

So are you saying to mount the shares first to the QNAP NAS? Do I have to use smb or will any other protocol work as long as they mount locally?