New Server Install... meta data questions

epayson85

epayson85

I am going to be doing a new install of emby on another htpc that has a copy of my library.  I have it so metadata and nfos are saved in the media folders.  For the most part I believe when I set emby to scan the media it should pull up all the same information already in the NFO's.  Here are a couple issues I am foreseeing...

1. Watch / resume status.  I noticed there is an option to have my default user have the watch status saved into the NFO.  What I don't see is an option to not have it saved there at all.  How does emby handle this?  When the new install scans my media is it going to see that info in the NFO files and apply it?  

If that is the case, I was thinking a way to fix it would be to create an "admin" and have the admin get its watch status from the NFO's initially then once the install is complete make a new user name that the household would actually be using and thus would never have watched anything / a clean slate.  Thoughts? Is this even necessary?

2.  I happened to find a movie of mine that already had an NFO file it but it didn't have meta data.  It had garbage in it not from emby lets just say that.  My assumption is that emby couldn't or wouldn't over write it.  In such a case where does emby store the meta data?  Should I export to xml in addition to nfo to ensure there is at least some form of meta data in every folder?

I appreciate the help!

Happy2Play

1.  All watched status are save in the userdata_v2.db by user and movieid (tmdbid not sure if imdbid was added).  Saving user to nfo is off by default unless you applied it to a user.  Recommend not applying to any user.  Once a library scan is completed all watched statuses should be correct.

2.  Emby will never overwrite a previous nfo.  You have to refresh the item or refresh at library level to rewrite and refresh metadata.

epayson85

1.  All watched status are save in the userdata_v2.db by user and movieid (tmdbid not sure if imdbid was added).  Saving user to nfo is off by default unless you applied it to a user.  Recommend not applying to any user.  Once a library scan is completed all watched statuses should be correct.

2.  Emby will never overwrite a previous nfo.  You have to refresh the item or refresh at library level to rewrite and refresh metadata.

1. I was about to ask well how do I turn it off lol didn't realize I could select the "blank" user.   I have looked at that so many times this past week and I finally noticed it.  Perhaps that should be changed to disable or something more obvious.

2. I pretty much figured out that it won't overwrite an nfo as I found the example of that.  The question still remains... where does that meta data go then?  The movie had meta data stored somewhere.  Plus once I deleted the nfo and did a library scan a new nfo file with all the metadata was written.  Where was it being stored prior to that is my question.  Is it a DB file?

Happy2Play

2.  I believe the info is in the json file in your cache folder. (tmdb-movies2 listed by tmdbid)