Pass Through Audio audio good news-bad news

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi all @@7illusions

Well... I got 14316 yesterday, ever the optimist one of the first things I do is run a dts video clip through the Movies and TV app and I actually got dts, dts-hd audio out via hdmi to my receiver. Was about ready to declare victory until some further testing indicated  it isn't working very well yet.. and in fact seems to have a negative impact on the app.

Sure others may have different results, but this is what I have found/tried so far. The whole thing chocks on a full length video. tried to play mkv both locally and over the network, with M&t.

In the app if I enable dca direct play similar results tries to play and does but you only get a few frames and it stops thinks for a while few more frames etc. 7 I tried upping the bitrate but don't know what the maximum is or should I etc.

The problem I have is even taking all that out. any mkv that has a dts track reacts similarly. Because pass-through wasn't working for me I rip mkv's with an AC3 track as the default and Include a dts or dts-hd track if available.  

Are others seeing similar? Not sure if something can be tweaked or need to wait for ms. Any suggestions 7?

thanks

-vicpa

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Wasn't aware we were getting passthrough support for those codecs in the next OS update.  Potentially really, really sweet.  Wonder if they'll add TrueHD as well.

Deathsquirrel

it would be pretty awesome if that also comes to the edge browser.

If it rolls onto the xbox one some year I'd probably pack up and sell my HTPC NUC.

• Like 1

7illusions

Vicpa, have you tried the same file with the native video app?

They are replacing the player I use in the current app and it would be nice to know the stateof the native app.

I'm currently attempting to port the app to win10, will report back with how much work it really is.

• Like 2

Vicpa

Hi 7

Yea I did, the native app wasn't updated (at least not with a version/ store release) in 316 the native app would play the file but I swear it seemed to want to load the entire thing in memory before it would start. My movies and tv app jumped up to using 15gig of memory started playing and then dropped down to 4-5 gig. So I wouldn't consider that much of a success.

looks like they still have some work to do. but was encouraged that it was a least coming. :).​With it mucking up the app I rolled back to 295.

In general however the native player seems pretty good. I usually test my rips with it before adding them to emby. And yes it can play Live TV streams from the HdHomerun.

looking forward to hear more about the move to Win 10. (alright.. impatiently :P)

​-vicpa  ​

Can you help test whether dts is exposed to Edge or not?

Take the attached zip, replace the .js file in  your installation with the one attached. You'll need to clear browsing data. You'll know it's at least being used if playback either fails, or the video actually plays without transcoding. If it transcodes then the changes havent' taken effect.

browserdeviceprofile.zip

Also just to rule out bitrate causing transcoding, change the setting from auto to a really high value.

Vicpa

Hi Luke.

Not sure I can give  a good test. On the on machine where it was kinda working I roled back to 295 because it messed up the the win 10 app.  I made the change and on 295 machine it errored out. on a 316 machine same thing, errored out. . the 316 machine can't do pass through (not connected to receiver), All testing with Edge and beta server.

sorry,

-vicpa

ok, thanks. that's probably expected then since i wouldn't expect them to support decoding.