Can't direct stream when selecting non-default audio stream

bfir3

bfir3

I'm not sure if this is a technical limitation, or if it's just a bug. I've been going through my library converting media to user h264 video and 2ch AAC audio to improve direct streaming compatibility. I have some files with multiple languages, for example German and English. The problem I'm having when I try to direct stream from my Chrome browser is that Emby will play the file no problem using the default audio track, and Emby server will report direct streaming of the file. However if I select the second audio track from the UI, the video will reload and transcoding will begin-or if transcoding is not available on the current user profile, playback will end with a message notifying the user that the playback cannot continue.

I would expect to be able to switch audio streams between two 2ch AAC streams from the web client without requiring transcoding from the server, but please let me know if this is not possible.

Here's some screenshots that can show what I'm describing. This shows the H264 video with two 2ch AAC audio streams.

NZ0NwEH.png

If I play this file using the default German audio stream, the file will be direct streamed:

q02005m.png

However, if I switch the audio stream to the English stream, I lose the ability to direct stream:

3eagdwq.png

This problem might be best illustrated with a user account that has no privilege for transcoding. If I attempt to play the file from an account that does not allow transcoding that has it's audio language default set to English (do not play default audio track regardless of language) I receive this error:

SWzquK5.png

If I set the default language to German, the file plays without issue and is direct streaming.

Please let me know if this is expected! :)

Hi, yes it is because the browser video players do not support track switching. therefore when you select a secondary audio track, we have to get help from the server to convert the video. it is on the chrome roadmap though so as soon as the browser supports is, we'll utilize it.

bfir3

Thanks for the quick response! This is what I imagined. That will be a nice feature to have when it comes so I'll keep my eyes peeled. For now maybe I'll modify my script so that any English language streams are set to the default.

Thanks again!

anderbytes

Hi, yes it is because the browser video players do not support track switching. therefore when you select a secondary audio track, we have to get help from the server to convert the video. it is on the chrome roadmap though so as soon as the browser supports is, we'll utilize it.

When the feature that will allow us to choose Audio / Subtitle language's at the moment of "PLAY" arrives... will it be possible to direct stream (without transcoding) only the chosen audio/subtitle streams?

That would end this browser's limitation.

I had just this same problem yesterday.... it took me some time analyzing logs to realize that the problem was with a 2-audio media. Not even Emby server gave me a hint.

When the feature that will allow us to choose Audio / Subtitle language's at the moment of "PLAY" arrives... will it be possible to direct stream (without transcoding) only the chosen audio/subtitle streams?

That would end this browser's limitation.

No, we'd still be limited by the browser's ability (or inability) to select a specific track.  If we cannot do that, then we have no control over what track the browser will play - no matter when you make the selection.