Question about streaming

Endurs

Endurs

5702f9bea38f4_EmbySucks.jpg

Above you will see my DL speeds, with the walking dead stuttering like Ppppp-p-p-p-pp-p-pp-p-ppp-ppp-orky Ppppp-pp-ppp-ppp-ppppp--p-p-p-p-p-p-p-ig.

What I have found, is streaming is based SOLELY on the show or movie selected. I can stream Vikings at 15mbps no problem, but cannot change to Big Bang at 420kbps it stutters more than Michael J Fox.

Why is this so inconsistent?

The ONLY solution I have found is to Sync an episode. If I click "Sync" and then play, I have a 70% reduction in issues. This is not a good solution, but the only thing that actually makes a difference. If someone asks me if I am transcoding one more time I will lose my mind. I have not found a single option or setting that has any "transcoding" involved.

What is the deal? I have an 85 mb DL speed and a 12.5 mb UL. My home network is run over a TP-Link Archer C9 which should support all these speeds perfectly. I have also test the network using an AC1200U with similar results.

I am so confused how I pay $4.99 for the same applications, with Emby being drastically inferior.

**Please note, the server IS local. I am merely pointing out the fact I can obtain ISP speeds that should be far faster than required to stream on the home network. All my devices are hard wired. This is PC to PC over my LAN. If I can download from an external server at 85mb down and 12mb up, should my in house speeds not be superior?

Edited by Luke

mjktg99

I'm going to guess you are transcoding and your server isn't powerful enough to do the job. I can direct stream or transcode without any issues. Internally or externally. I streamed a full hd live tv channel from my house to a friend's xbox with zero issues.

So emby doesn't suck and actually works quite well. I'm sorry your having issues but without requesting any help or posting logs so your issue can be looked at, your rant will go largely unresolved. Plenty of people are here and willing to help but please and thank yous go a long way...

chef

How much of your media is transcoding from your server?

What are the bitrates of your source files?

What kind of processor are you running?

It isn't your home network modem, it's your CPU...

Mjktg99 beat me to it.. ;)

Edited by chef

Endurs

What the F is transcoding.  Stop talking about a word that does NOT exist in the options.  This is VERY annoying.

I am running an AMD FX-6300 Six Core CPU Overclocked to 4.8GHZ, 16 GB RAM, SSD 1TB drive, and Geforce GTX 970.  How could this be my PC?  What in the world would need more power than this?

Transcoding, to me, sounds like "did you turn it off an on again?"  It's some term you use without no documented information.

Edited by Endurs

Happy2Play

What the F is transcoding.  Stop talking about a word that does NOT exist in the options.  This is VERY annoying.

Guess you need look up the difference between streaming and transcoding.

How to Report a Problem

chef

Here is a google definition of transcoding for you to read over.

"Transcoding is the direct analog-to-analog or digital-to-digital conversion of one encoding to another, such as for movie data files (e.g., PAL, SECAM, NTSC), audio files (e.g., MP3, WAV), or character encoding (e.g., UTF-8, ISO/IEC 8859)."

Let me know when you re ready for me to help you out :)

In some cases emby may not direct stream media content. However because you are accessing from another PC it might not need to transcode.

You may need to look at options in "Playback" to let the server know about path substitutions.

Edited by chef

chef

That is a good CPU. Have you looked at path substitutions under "Playback" yet.

What kind of codec packs are you using and which client are you trying to play your media on, on your PC? Not server?

That is a good CPU. Have you looked at path substitutions under "Playback" yet.

What kind of codec packs are you using and which client are you trying to play your media on, on your PC? Not server?

in the browser none of that matters.

mjktg99

Emby server will transcode a file when the device you are using to play that file cannot natively play the format that your file is in.  For instance, some live tv streams that come from the cable company are MPEG2.  My Roku cannot decode an MPEG2 file.  So, my server will transcode that file into a format that can be played by my Roku. 

And transcoding is not an option because it is something the server automatically does when it detects that the device you are trying to play from cannot handle the file format.

Edited by mjktg99

Emby server will transcode a file when the device you are using to play that file cannot natively play the format that your file is in.  For instance, some live tv streams that come from the cable company are MPEG2.  My Roku cannot decode an MPEG2 file.  So, my server will transcode that file into a format that can be played by my Roku. 

And transcoding is not an option because it is something the server automatically does when it detects that the device you are trying to play from cannot handle the file format.

We do have playback settings that affect transcoding though. Every app has in-app settings for max bitrate, and the server has some server-side streaming & transcoding settings.

You can learn more by checking out the wiki article on transcoding:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding