Any 265 HW-Encoder outa there?

Tranquil

Tranquil

Hello Forum.

Last days I played a bit with h265, and I'm very impressed about PQ and filesize. Just great.

As nearly all my devices are capable of playing h265 natively on its GPU I decided to start transcoding some of my homevideos just for testing.

Handbrake does a good job but its taking so long.

I have a system which supports Intel QSV and also Nvidias NVENC (GTX 970 Card), so h265 encoding should be possible. The changelog of ffmpeg shows, that it should be possible with it, but you have to create your own build. (as fas as I understand)

Any hints?

jds828

Staxrip...

x265 is slow to encode. I've used Nvidias NVENC on a GTX970 which is much faster but the file size was quite a bit bigger for the same overall quality. I'm not a pro with x265 so it's quite possible that a few more tweaks would make it better.

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi

Are using one of Handbrake nightly builds ? There is an option for h265_qsv is that what you tried?

-vicpa

Tranquil

I used x265 soft encoder, but it is, as jds828 stated, painful slow. (UHD material from x264 to x265 with max 5fps)

h265_qsv does not seem to be supported by my Intel GPU, only h264.

Now giving Staxrip a try, working fine so far. Encoding speed is at approx 55FPS and CPU is at 2%. :-)

Atm, it seems that x265 is giving better results on smaller file sizes but nvenc is really fast and avg bitrate is 7 Mbit/sec at UHD material. (3840x2160 pixels) Thats okay for me.

Will play with the "balance" option in the encoding settings a bit and will see how to get the best bitrate / image quality setting.

jds828

I can get a 4k 10bit full film with HE 5.1 audio down to about 6GB. I hear Stax now supports 12 bit colour too. It starts making the older CPU's dance a bit though with 10bit video. Don't forget to save your settings as templates, that way you can quickly go back to a previous one without going through all the settings again.

Tranquil

Yeah, you are right. I now created two templates: one for UHD material and one for normal HD movies. For the HD ones, I set the bitrate to be variable. I choose VBR2, dont know where the differences are between VBR and VBR2. Max. bitrate is set to 4000, should be enough for h265 and 1080p I hope.

jds828

I've just reinstalled my server but I may have a copy of my templates. My main one is 1080p-10bit-HE5.1@320 and I set the bitrate to 2000. That gives an excellent picture and sound quality ranging from 1.5 to 2.5GB per standard length film. It uses software so a bit slow but gives better end results than hardware IMO. If it's still here you're welcome to a copy. 

Tranquil

Thank you for your offer jds828 but I think I have it done. :-)

1.5 up to 2.5GB is really small, will check this. Sometimes, we are watching movies by using a projector so maybe artifacts can be noticed then!?  

jds828

They look ok on mine. I use a 1080 projector and 1080/4k TV.

The main point is that you have something you're happy with. My idea of good may not be yours.

• 5 months later...

hey guys. Bringing back this old thread. Those of you using Staxrip for NVENC encoding - would you mind sharing your settings? It is super fast to encode, but I'm trying to find some settings that will increase the quality, even at the expense of speed. Also, how to you set it to 10 bit encoding?

Thanks