Metadata for movies with same title

Ironman273
Go to solution Solved by Koleckai Silvestri,

Ironman273

So I just started trying out MediaBrowser.  I've been an AppleTV user so far but have switched all my media player needs to an Xbox One.  All save streaming movies from my NAS.  For that I still use the AppleTV.  It seems like it may or may not work through the Xbox One browser but that's another story.

Anyways, I've been organizing my library to be ready to jump away from Apple.  I'm having an issue with the metadata.  AppleTV puts all the movies into one folder and adds (HD) to the title if it's >720p (which most of my movies are).  The HD thing I got through by manually removing it from the titles and rescanning the metadata.  I still have a couple movies that aren't being fetched correctly.  I have the 1984 Karate Kid but not the new one.  Only the new one's metadata is being brought up.  I also have the old and new versions of Total Recall and The Thing, which all default to the newer film.  I've read that to fix it you should change the folder name to include the year but as I mentioned AppleTV doesn't create separate folders.  I thought I could just add the date to the name and search again but that didn't work.  Is there any other way to do it without folders?  I will probably end up putting everything in its own folder after it's working completely and I can ditch the AppleTV.

Also, it'd be nice to force metadata by inputting the TMDb or IMDb ID and forcing the lookup from that number.

• Solution
Koleckai Silvestri
  1. Find the movie ID on IMDB. They usually start with TT and can be seen in the URL.
  2. In the Web Client, Go to the Movie with the bad metadata.
  3. Click Edit
  4. Insert the Movie ID in the appropriate field. 
  5. Save (important)
  6. Refresh the metadata.

The IMDB id for The Karate Kid (2010) is tt1155076

You can also put the Year of the movie in Parenthesis. For instance. I have:

Karate Kid, The (1984)

Karate Kid, The (2010)

Though like you said, that would require moving all your movies. I only have one movie per folder.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 2

Good day,

For movie to fetching the correct metadata, you have 2 options as example:

Add year in the end of the folder name, ex.: The Karate Kid (1984)

Or

From the movie at the mb3 dashboard (webclient) click on that movie then click on "Edit" then at External ID put the TMDB or IMDB id, then click on save and refresh that movie title.

Here tut / info threads:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/730-mb3-server-using-the-web-client/

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/

My best

Ironman273

1. Find the movie ID on IMDB. They usually start with TT and can be seen in the URL.
  2. In the Web Client, Go to the Movie with the bad metadata.
  3. Click Edit
  4. Insert the Movie ID in the appropriate field. 
  5. Save (important)
  6. Refresh the metadata.

The IMDB id for The Karate Kid (2010) is tt1155076

You can also put the Year of the movie in Parenthesis. For instance. I have:

Karate Kid, The (1984)

Karate Kid, The (2010)

Though like you said, that would require moving all your movies. I only have one movie per folder.

Thank you!  It's exactly what I was looking for.  I know I wasn't using IMDb before, I was using TMDb.  I also don't remember if I was saving.  Either way, using IMDb and saving worked.  Thanks again.

Actually, both IMDB and TMDB are working. It is probably you missed saving.

Correct - and also, just FYI - we fetch from tmdb not IMDb but can use either ID to do so.

Koleckai Silvestri

I just use IMDB because it is bookmarked and easier for me to remember the URL. Whenever I try to go to themoviedb.org, I type in tmdb.com and it goes to some spam site. I am pretty sure this is due to the way everyone references it.