Preprocessing video/audio : the future!

jscoys

jscoys

I was just thinking about something could be really awesome.

I realize that today I use a specific video player with cool preprocessing filter to get a better picture quality and 60fps emulation.

I also use Windows 10 and the loudness equalization to have a king of normalisation.

So now, what about having all these features directly on the server side? Imagine having the best video quality and sound as you want, on any client (iOS, Android, Windows, Chromecast, Roku...) because all this video/audio filters are handle by the server... It would be really great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponyo

I think he means transcoding but instead of transcoding to a lower quality or different format because the client doesn't support the original format, transcode to a "better" quality by having the server apply madvr or whatever filters or post processing you want to apply and stream the result of that to the client.

Doesn't make much sense to me. If you want better quality rip your media in higher quality or touch up the original file yourself and add that to Emby but to spend horsepower on "upcoding" files seems like a waste to me.

• Like 1

jscoys

Why? Why the server could not add different filters to improve image quality? It's for instance what the H265 does...

Deathsquirrel

I think he means transcoding but instead of transcoding to a lower quality or different format because the client doesn't support the original format, transcode to a "better" quality by having the server apply madvr or whatever filters or post processing you want to apply and stream the result of that to the client.

Doesn't make much sense to me. If you want better quality rip your media in higher quality or touch up the original file yourself and add that to Emby but to spend horsepower on "upcoding" files seems like a waste to me.

I don't see any value in having this in Emby but the idea of a Handbrake 'madvr' mode that could reencode my dvds at 1080p with madvr filtering used to generate the fake pixels is really freaking compelling.

Koleckai Silvestri

There are many apps out there to preprocess your audio and video. That is what they focus on and can probably do it better than Emby can. Plus it can be done on a machine other than the server.

jscoys

There are many apps out there to preprocess your audio and video. That is what they focus on and can probably do it better than Emby can. Plus it can be done on a machine other than the server.

Yeah but the fact to have the preprocessing on server side is the garantee to have the best picture quality on any clients, instead of looking for every best product for all your different clients.

For instance Madvr is available on Emby Theatre, what about android or IOS?

Koleckai Silvestri

I process my video once and then add it to the server. most of my content is lossless 1080p video. It is rarely transcoded because primary viewing devices have access to Gigabit Ethernet.

Pretty disappointed in MadVR myself. I wouldn't hold it up to any standard. Don't have Android and the iOS client isn't very useful for watching content. Google Chrome or Safari give a better experience.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

NomadCF

I slightly disagree here, Emby is already manipulating the data/streams during a sync & transcoding. And since it's already doing this why couldn't (shouldn't) we be able to tune the sync. Whether that's to simply define a new resolution, apply  filters, etc. In any case Emby already is processing the file so it might as well let us tune how and what it's doing.  

Koleckai Silvestri

I slightly disagree here, Emby is already manipulating the data/streams during a sync & transcoding. And since it's already doing this why couldn't (shouldn't) we be able to tune the sync. Whether that's to simply define a new resolution, apply  filters, etc. In any case Emby already is processing the file so it might as well let us tune how and what it's doing.  

Sure as long as you're not running the server on the cheapest hardware available.

If there is some transcoding customization that you would like to see, then write it up into a feature request and we'll see what the community thinks of it.

NomadCF

If there is some transcoding customization that you would like to see, then write it up into a feature request and we'll see what the community thinks of it.

It's not really that I want this or that "option" but more of a "expert" / Advanced sections (textareas) showing the cli passthru options your sending to ffmeg. This way an advanced your can alter the options to how they see fit.  This ways it doesn't require anything from the emby devs other maintaining the front end sections which really is only a textarea & save operation, along with a lookup to that saved area on every ffmeg call.  

** Sections would be the different areas where emby calls ffmeg aka sync VS trancoding play back, etc. 

It's pretty complicated though because it will vary per app/device depending on what transcoding method is used. that's why it's easier to allow adjustments on specific things like crf or x264opts, etc