Live TV Streaming Freezes Seconds After Starting Stream?

inferno480

inferno480

Hello, I recently started using the Emby plug-in (v3.0.5882) for FreeNAS.  

I am trying to stream Live TV from an HDHomeRun PRIME (20150826 firmware) to a Windows 10 client PC running the latest Chrome.  Local media streams great, and recorded TV streams perfectly fine as well, but any time I attempt to stream live TV, the stream starts then immediately stops (screen freezes).  I notice the tuner is still occupied by the Emby server's IP on my HDHomeRun when this happens.   I've made sure the transcoding working folder has write permissions, and I even see temporary video files appear there then eventually disappear on their own after I close down the client.

The bitrate selection does not seem to make a difference, I've tried everything from 720p 4mb/s to 1080p 60mb/s and the behavior is the same.  The CPUs/cores on my FreeNAS server have plenty of capacity when I look under the Reporting information, so I am stumped.  Any ideas?  I've done some searching and many replies seem to suggest that I might be CPU-bound, but like I said, utilization is quite low on my FreeNAS server.  I am running an AMD Opteron 6376 which is 2.3 GHz x 16 cores..

I am not too familiar with how FreeBSD "gates" the Emby jail, in terms of CPU utilization?  Are there any sysctls to mess with or settings I should check regarding that?

Attached are the log files, I tried several attempts to stream Live TV right around Mar 28 20:00 (within a couple minutes after).  The server log is truncated because the full file dated back 15+ hours and was over 10Mbytes in size, but I can supply the whole thing if necessary.

server-log.txt

transcode-log.txt

inferno480

Yes, and it grows in size even after the video (and audio) freezes, until I click the X in the upper-right corner to close the channel, then the file disappears.

Since we have a new release out please report back once you have that. Right now i'm not exactly sure what it is as everything in the log files looks pretty normal.

razzfazz

You may be limited by single-thread speed Try opening a shell on your server and execute the following:

top -SHIPz

Look for any ffmpeg threads with close to 100% CPU utilization. I've definitely seen this on my machine.

My theory is that the short part at the beginning that plays fine is due to ffmpeg running ahead and encoding some part of the video before playback actually starts; so initially, you're playing from that buffer and it runs just fine, but once that buffer is exhausted, transcoding doesn't keep up with playback, so you're seeing these freezes.