Playback Issues - Firefox Only

Cremby
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Cremby

Hello,

I noticed that when I'm using Firefox to play select files in my library (not all) the video will stutter on occasion. I've monitored the server while playing the video and noticed that the transcode is very slow (20ish FPS) and the stuttering occurs as a result of the stream catching the transcode. This obviously shouldn't happen and when I play the same file in Chrome, the transcode is well beyond the stream and transcoding occurs many times faster. I've tried disabling the hardware acceleration option in Firefox but the results were the same. The web client and Emby server are on the same computer in both cases. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

The different browsers have different capabilities that we take advantage of. Chrome is the most advanced by far and will always produce the best experience.

Cremby

The different browsers have different capabilities that we take advantage of. Chrome is the most advanced by far and will always produce the best experience.

So, is the browser performing the transcode then? I was under the assumption it was the server's responsibility and should therefore occur at the same rate regardless of the client used. I just tested both at the same time and the Firefox buffer stays fairly close to the current stream location whereas Chrome had the file 50% buffered 5 minutes into a 1h34 minute movie.

Edited by Cremby

• Solution

No it's the server, but the more capabilities the browser has, the less transcoding that is required.

• Like 1