Path Substitution - Clarification Needed

Cremby
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Cremby

Hello,

I was looking at Path Substitution and I have a few questions. My media resides on my NAS. I've mapped a drive on my Windows computer to the media on my NAS. This is the computer on which Emby is running. The drive letter for the mapping is Z. I pointed most of my Emby libraries to Z:\FOLDER_NAME when I set up my libraries. However, the first library I set up, Movies, points to \\NAS_IP\FOLDER_PATH. In short, my setup is this:

Movies -> \\NAS_IP\FOLDER_PATH

OTHER_LIBRARY_NAME -> Z:\NAS_FOLDER

My questions are:

1. Assuming I want the benefits associated with path substitution, do I require path substitutions since the data is already on the network? This is particularly true for movies since I've already pointed the media to an SMB path.

2. If I require path substitution, do I need to remap movies or just the libraries pointing to the mapped drive? Requiring both would mean:

a. For Movies - From: \\NAS_IP\FOLDER_PATH To: \\NAS_IP\FOLDER_PATH

b. For Other Libraries - From: Z:\NAS_FOLDER To: \\NAS_IP\FOLDER_PATH

Please let me know if a and/or b are required. If the above substitutions are completely wrong, let me know. :)

3. Does the Emby client, Emby server, or the platform on which the client is running process the substituted path? For example, Android does not have Kernel support for SMB, will an SMB path substitution still work for this client?

4. Does Path Substitution apply to DLNA?

Thanks in advance!

• Solution

1) Don't use mapped drives.  Just directly reference using UNC paths

2) If the locations are already remote to the Emby Server machine, you are better off just using the UNC paths in the library definition and not setting up anything in path substitution.

• Like 1

Cremby

1) Don't use mapped drives.  Just directly reference using UNC paths

2) If the locations are already remote to the Emby Server machine, you are better off just using the UNC paths in the library definition and not setting up anything in path substitution.

Thanks for the quick reply. Now, can I simply go to Library->Folders->LIBRARY_NAME | Manage Folders add the UNC Path and delete the mapped path? Will this cause the whole library to be rebuilt thereby deleting any changes I've made or will the server see that it's the same content?

It depends whether or not you save your metadata with your media - which is one of the reasons we highly recommend doing that.

Cremby

I did not :(

Thanks though. My movies library required the most changes so I'm safe there. The TV Library is going to be fun. Better to find out now I guess.

Cremby

It depends whether or not you save your metadata with your media - which is one of the reasons we highly recommend doing that.

If I change this setting before modifying the folder paths, will the server move or copy the current metadata to the media folders?

If I change this setting before modifying the folder paths, will the server move or copy the current metadata to the media folders?

No.